Using Carbon Below an Inert Substrate?

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by Dave Spencer, 25 Jun 2009.

1. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

Has anybody used carbon below an inert substrate? I am thinking of giving it a go in my next 120cm rescape to keep the cost down.

Dave.

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Never tried that one Dave. I'd be more inclined to go with a clay product though, better CEC and all that. Is it that much cheaper than Akadama?

Cheers,

3. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Not tried that either, but have heard of some reports.

Zeolite is also a consideration perhaps? I seem to remember Hoppycalif (the 'inventor' of the 4dKH CO2 DC) mentioning it a while back.

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Ade (wolfenrook) has, he gets good growth from his plants, however, i am not too sure on his dosing regime as heavy dosing of the water column may 'cancel' it out.

5. Garuf

Garuf Member

terrarium users use it to "soak out" nutrients and prevent stagnation, I believe that's it's origin, it supposedly works well but I've never tried.

6. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

Cheers guys, I may as well give it a go, seeing as I have so much laying around from various filters I have bought.

I am a big Zeolite fan, and usually start a new tank with some in the filter. Using Zeolite in the substrate may be something I will try in the future.

Thanks again chaps.

Dave.

7. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

ive got some in the bottom of my 60cm Dave. put it in as a bit of an experiment after reading about it somewhere