• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

using driveway gravel to build up height in substrate

LFNfan

Hi
I'm looking at a re-scape (well, a first "proper" scape) and am wondering if I can use driveway gravel such as this as a cheap way to build up height, combined with egg crate boxing.
This particular one says 'not for aquatic use' in the description, but I've seen this sort of thing being used on Y'tube, so is the manufacturer just 'playing it safe'?
Edit: this one is billed as 'aquarium friendly'
Grateful for any advice / steers, as always.
Many thanks

Last edited:
If it says on the bag 'unsuitable for fish and other aquatic animals', for the sake of a few extra quid, I would advise against it.

Hi
I'm looking at a re-scape (well, a first "proper" scape) and am wondering if I can use driveway gravel such as this as a cheap way to build up height, combined with egg crate boxing.
This particular one says 'not for aquatic use' in the description, but I've seen this sort of thing being used on Y'tube, so is the manufacturer just 'playing it safe'?
Edit: this one is billed as 'aquarium friendly'
Grateful for any advice / steers, as always.
Many thanks
Yes that would be fine. It's nothing but inert silica. I've used it myself on occasion.

1693552160947.png

Back