• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using existing filter media in re-scaped aquarium

tomh

Hi,

I am planning to re-scape my tank and have bought a new larger filter, I am intending to use some of the existing media within the new filter when starting the new tank. Its going to take some time to empty, clean, re-scape and generally set up the new tank (maybe a week), my question is how long can the old filter media sit before it has to be back in the new working filter? or does it not matter?

Thanks

Tom

What Vink said above :)

I usually keep my filter running through a bucket of water when I re-scape so it keeps the bacteria alive ready for the new tank.

I read an article from Nathan on PFK a few years back that suggested a lot of the bacteria still survives even after you stop the filter for an extended time.

You can get complicated & keep the filter running in a bin, just feed with fish food if you want ... you can also just rinse the detritus (with tank water or dechlorinated tap etc) out of the filter media, then close up the filter with enough water to just cover the bottom so that bio-media remains damp but with good oxygen, & store at (cool) room temperature.
Then start up with new tank (dechlorinated etc), expect some lag as filter bacteria transition back to active growth ... I've not observed measureable ammonia/nitrites with this method, but I do 50% daily water changes initially & stock lightly so YMMV.
(you can also store the damp media in closed plastic bags with a small amount of water to maintain humidity & good amounts of air, eg, media should only occupy 10 - 15% of bag volume)

Note that I'm of the philosophy of Hovanec et al
and An improved nitrifying enrichment to remove ammonium and nitrite from freshwater aquaria systems. R Grommena,; I Van Hauteghema,; M Van Wambekeb
After 12 months preservation of the inoculum at 4 °C, no important decrease in ammonium removal activity and only a minor decrease in the nitrite removal rate of the consortium were noticed

Thanks guys sounds good, dilemma solved, I could just use one of my power heads. So it doesn't need heating?

Back