• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using The Dry Start Method

Ben M

hi, i am soon going to setup my nano tank, and i'd like to start it using the dry start method. but i'm not really sure how to do this. the substrate i have is JBL manado (please give me your opinions of this substrate, as i've read some bad reviews on it and am starting to get worried!!!). do i just wash this substrate and then add it to the tank, adding enough water to submerge the substrate, but no higher?

also, i'd like to know if the plants i intend to grow will be suitable for the DSM.

the plants i intend to grow are:

Eleocharis parvula
Glossostigma elatinoides
Crypt sp. (undecided upon which species)
mosses
Rotala rotundifolia
Hygrophila polysperma
possibly Hc
and possibly some more stem plants.

which of these plants will be suitable to start with the DSM, and which will i have to add after?

also, will all of these plants grow well in a superfish aqua qube 40, with the 18w light that it comes with, EI ferts, JBL Manado substrate and liquid carbon?

and am i right in thinking that i add the substrate with enough water just to cover it, plant it, and then cover the lid with cling film to stop moisture evaporating off? and do i need to top the water up at all?

and finally, do i need to add any ferts before the tank is filled with water?

cheers :D

I think initially after fill up you have to have really high co2 to ease the transition otherwise there might be problems, not sure though.

I did mine not so long ago. I have some ups and downs but it was really easy to do and i`ll definitely be doing it again. Make sure the humidity is high throughout but leave a small hole to let air in as you don`t want it completely sealed. Also make sure the substrate is moist but do not put too much in so that it forms a water line above the substrate as you`ll get algae issues. When you do fill the tank ( mine was after 2 months as i was growing lots of HC) keep the CO2 high (30ppm ish) and keep it stable. Give it time to settle down before reducing back down.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Cheers,

Back