• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using two different substrates.

Deanne

I’m planning a tank for dwarf puffers, and reusing gravel substrate from a previous, cycled, tank. I need an area of softer substrate to accommodate some loaches I’m going to use as clean-up crew, and having seen people use plastic containers for substrate when breeding shrimp, wondered if this might be an option in this case, the container would be filled with sand and the edges hidden by a combination of planting and rocks, I also have an amount of slivers and irregularly shaped oddments of slate I could also use for the purpose. Would this work, would the container need holes, perhaps covered with fine mesh to retain the sand but allow water passage? I intend to have a leaf litter on the floor, so the loaches could hide during the day. Any advice welcome.

Have kept a few species of loaches on fine smooth gravel without issues.
Would be hesitant to use the sliver's or irregular pieces of slate if they have sharp edges due to the loaches always scouring over décor in search of food's or trying to wedge themselves into tiny areas as the love to do it seem's.
Would use larger smooth river stones and or driftwood pieces with afore mentioned fine gravel or sand.

Back