• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Well, I think growing UG with tap water (at 150ppm) in fresh tropica soil seems possible now, not easy at all but manageable with some extra dedication and a dedicated setup. 🙂

The flying shrimp is here to prove that even at level 1 on 4, this little canister filter from TRU has plenty of power to deliver:

8B1478E5-1096-4908-AB1D-593AB1E25758.jpeg
D9CB5403-3B2F-4AB4-ACF1-2E0AF2860E73.jpeg

Hi all,

I added some caridina shrimps to this tank to see if they can help me to do some cleaning on the small diatoms and tank in general, they seem to do great for now (2 weeks in). They love to hide under the biggest stone during the lighting period, they use it as a cave!

The UG is still growing, again slowly but I see more and more roots and runners, I sometimes have to push the biggest pads in the soil again to avoid uprooting.

Still doing weekly waterchange, just reduced from 50% to 30% because of the shrimps, always using tap water at 150ppm.

Adding 1ml of masterline potassium daily, I decided to add 10% more intensity on the ledstar unit now that the tank is balanced and see if the growth will be faster.

I’m very tempted to prune the right part which is clearly overgrown but I prefer taking my time and waiting for the carpet to fill in completely.

This plant is so delicate, I’m not surprised so many people fail with it, it really needs a dedicated setup IMHO. But it’s without a doubt the most beautiful grass like plant I’ve seen.

Patience always pay in aquascaping, here’s an quick shot of the actual state of this simple setup;

2B66CC57-F982-49F2-BB90-99E3006BF5E6.jpeg

Cheers ukaps ppl!
Thierry

Hi all,

I added some caridina shrimps to this tank to see if they can help me to do some cleaning on the small diatoms and tank in general, they seem to do great for now (2 weeks in). They love to hide under the biggest stone during the lighting period, they use it as a cave!

The UG is still growing, again slowly but I see more and more roots and runners, I sometimes have to push the biggest pads in the soil again to avoid uprooting.

Still doing weekly waterchange, just reduced from 50% to 30% because of the shrimps, always using tap water at 150ppm.

Adding 1ml of masterline potassium daily, I decided to add 10% more intensity on the ledstar unit now that the tank is balanced and see if the growth will be faster.

I’m very tempted to prune the right part which is clearly overgrown but I prefer taking my time and waiting for the carpet to fill in completely.

This plant is so delicate, I’m not surprised so many people fail with it, it really needs a dedicated setup IMHO. But it’s without a doubt the most beautiful grass like plant I’ve seen.

Patience always pay in aquascaping, here’s an quick shot of the actual state of this simple setup;

View attachment 202432
Cheers ukaps ppl!
Thierry

Love this scape! The Bee shrimps will look awesome up against the Graminifolia and those beautiful rocks!

Cant wait to see more pictures!

Sounds like you have excellent tap water. btw. it's a bit of an old wifes' tale that shrimps don't like larger water changes... what they don't like are fluctuating water parameters such as TDS, GH (Ca/Mg) in particular, if your WC water reasonably matches the tank water they wont mind whether you change more water.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hey Thierry, i am planning and 45p iwagumi ,with just UG some Riccardia and seriyu stone , planning to do dark start for atleast a month and then plants heavy, any tips you can give me

Hello, thanks, actually no.

But I dismantled the tank shortly after this pic because I found it too boring and it wasn’t appropriate for keeping shrimps…sorry.

Back