• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vallisneria Spiralis Query

mark4785

I've had some Vallisneria Spiralis planted in my tank for about 2 weeks now and although new shoots are growing perfectly well, some of the longer shoots are losing their chlorophyl and becoming semi-transparent from the top down.

Why is this happening? Do they just naturally do this or is it more of a problem with my tank that is causing it?

Thanks.

spyder said:
They could be adapting to conditions or it could be co2 related.

Ahh, but don't they need the co2 to be able to grow those new shoots?

I was wondering if the transparency was a sign that they are coming to the end of a growth cycle?

If they are acclimitisng, how long does this process last?

Thanks.

mark4785 said:
spyder said:
They could be adapting to conditions or it could be co2 related.

Ahh, but don't they need the co2 to be able to grow those new shoots?

I was wondering if the transparency was a sign that they are coming to the end of a growth cycle?

If they are acclimitisng, how long does this process last?

Thanks.

If the co2 is not upto scratch plants can literally melt using energy from old leaves. They kind of recycle themselves.

If it's acclimatisation then it could take 3-4 weeks or more.

Vallis and Easy Carbo problems are commonly well known. Try half dose but if your co2 injection and distribution are good you wouldn't really need to dose it.

Can you give more specifics like tank volume, filteration, ferts, co2 injection methods and most importantly lighting.

Tank volume: 120 litres.
Filtration: two internals (one has a 400 LPH flowrate, the other 2000 LPH). Also, 2 Koralia powerheads are situated above the co2 diffuser to push co2 across the tank.
Fertiliser: potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate dosed every mon, wed, fri. 10ml of TPN dosed tue, thur, sat. EI dosing basically.
Lighting: 2x24w HO T5 fluorescent tubes; floating amazon frogbit block some of the light out due to previous algal problems.

Hi Mark,

As spyder said. Liquid Carbon and Valis do not go too well together. Had this issue as well. Was injecting CO2 and using liquid carbon as well. Within a week I noticed all my Valis melting and thinning. Read the same on a forum elsewhere about liquid carbon having adverse effects on Valis. As soon as I stopped dosing this the valis recovered within a couple of weeks.

Back