• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Video Journal: 75g Planted Tank * new underwater Videos*

Hey everyone,

I am new here and fairly new to the hobby. I started back in march with my first ever aquarium and decided right from the start that I wanted a planted tank. Its been amazing so far, and I feel I have learned a lot and still learning things each day.

Hopefully you guys enjoy my videos, I love hearing feedback as I am always looking to improve both my fish keeping and plant keeping.

Here is my latest video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Guy and Gals,

Today was one of the most exciting days I have ever had in the hobby. I been planning to do a rescape on my 75g for a while; there were numerous reasons as to why I wanted to change things up. For starters, my old substrate (safe-t-sorb) was nothing but problems and I regret using it as a substrate. I would advise against it for most hobbyist but it does have its benefits, but it simply wasn't working for my tank.

As I was completely new to the hobby when I first started this tank just over a year ago I didn't plan things out very well and ended up change a lot of things over that time. Only in the last little bit is when I really knew what I wanted out of my tank. I decided pretty early on that I wasn't to focus on non-stem plants for my scape because of the low maintenance aspect as well as the beauty that they posses. I been slowly collecting all the species that I thought would work out nicely together and quickly fell in love with crypts.

Fast forward to 14 hours ago where I began tearing down my tank. I started off by bringing in the 200lbs of PFS that I had washed last night, it took me about 2 hours total to rinse it to the point where I felt it was clean enough for the tank.

Once all the sand was inside I moved onto setting up the temp home for my fish. I used a 15g cooler filled with tank water and adding my canister filter which has an in-line heater. I also treading the water with a dose of prime to ensure levels don't spike while the stressed fish are in there.

I was able to catch all non-bottom dwellers pretty easily, didn't have to remove any plants other than some really long hygro willow so I could see what I was doing. I quickly came to the conclusion that there was no way I could possible catch the corys and loaches with the amount of plants I had in the tank. I also couldn't even locate my 3 vampire shrimp..

I decided I had to remove all plants. I was very careful not to be too quick or rough on the plants. I wanted to avoid any major stirring of the substrate as I would then lose visibilityn and the whole even would of been halted. I also didn't want to stress out the fish too much as I was removing the plants.

Once I removed everything, minus the hard scape (bolts down to slate tiles under the substrate) I was able to catch the rest of the fish pretty easily. I used 2 big nets (14x10) as well as a few smaller nets as needed.

All the plants where laid out on a tarp then covered with newspaper and sprayed with water to keep it damp. Occasionally throughout the day I would mist the paper to ensure my plants didn't dry out. It seemed to do the trick perfectly.

On to removing the substrate and the hard scape. Then came time to clean the tank and get the glass looking like new again.

The tank is now read for substrate. I decided to lay about an inch of substrate down and then insert my diy root tabs right at the bottom. I spaced them all out perfectly even to ensure I didn't overdue it.

The hardest part of this whole thing was deciding what to do for the new scape. I struggled on how I was going to shape the substrate; I wanted to have some depth to my tank so I decided to make some slopes. Ready for the plant, I was a little in shock when I realized how many plants I actually had crammed in there previously. I decided to work largest to smallest plants, picking the plants that I wanted to stand out the most first and giving the the best spots. I didn't want to group plants together but didn't want it to look too random either.

As the planting moved along I realized I was not going to be able to achieve the look I wanted if I used all the plants I had. It was simply too much and would crowd everything. I also wanted to ensure I didn't have no plants pushed up against the front glass like I had in the other scape. It was also import that I left some of the substrate in the front of the tank exposed. I feel like these little details really enhance the looks of the scape and adds depth to almost any tank.

Another important consideration I had while planting was to make sure that the plants that required more light was placed closer to the centre of the tank. This was they would get the most par out of my 48" finnex planted plus.

Tank was finally all planted and ready for fresh water and moving the residence back in. I have so many crpyts and loads of hygro willow to sell now. Also have a bunch of other plants like swords, ferns, and stuff left over. I have counted but you can see the pics ;) It was pretty easily to get all the fish back in to the tank which was nice because it kept stress as low as possible given the situation. The fish seemed to be fine in the cooler for the day. I did lose 2 young cherry barbs which I am bummed about, the stress must of been too much for them.

Everyone is now in their new home and they seem to be adjusting well. The yoyo loaches are still a bit frantic but that's to be expected. The gouramis seem fine just not as colourful as normal. I expect that by tomorrow night everything should be back to normal.

Here are some pics of the process and a before shot of the tank, lemme know what you folks think. I really really like it so far. Enjoy! I keep updating this thread as the plants and fish continue to grow.

20150516_184719_zpstflsagsf.jpg
20150516_184656_zpsncrtpszo.jpg
20150516_184633_zpsburclhti.jpg
20150516_184503_zpsfkctioxe.jpg
20150516_184452_zpsyiud3nn3.jpg
20150516_184422_zpsrxtx7tvb.jpg
20150516_184410_zpsoi9lteql.jpg
20150516_184402_zpsvntmpfc5.jpg
20150516_184341_zpssnginrlj.jpg
20150516_184313_zpst96k0nin.jpg
20150516_174033_zpsn0dqvu4s.jpg
20150516_174027_zpsc8ehe3ek.jpg
20150516_124708_zps06nwisc5.jpg
20150516_122418_zpslwbkjqa2.jpg
20150516_100803_zpsvsprpl2v.jpg
20150513_213839_zpsvjyf6hsu.jpg
BEFORE
AFTER20150516_184305_zpsyjaxrh5a.jpg

Hey everyone,

I recently got a new camera (Olympus tg-4) and since the only camera I have ever owned were built into cell phones, I am a bit overwhelmed with all the features and settings. Anyhow, I thought I would post up some underwater test footage I took today, its crappy I know but I will get better I promise
icon_smile.gif

As for the tank, I have recently added a 15lb pressurized tank with a co2art dual stage regulator. I built a Cerges reactor for diffusion which seems to be working perfectly. I am running 17-18 psi as a working pressure and more bubbles than I can count, but I monitor ph drop, which is .8-.9 over the course a few hours and it seems to hold all day till the co2 is off. I have it running on a timer, 2 hours before lights come on and 1 hour before lights go out.

There has also been some new plant additions. I placed an order for some crypts to grow my collection, nothing too fancy but I like em
icon_smile.gif
Here is the list.

Anubias Nana
Anubius Petite
Anubias Congensis
Aponogeton Boivinianus
Aponogeton Crispus
Aponogeton Madagascariensis
Aponogeton Undulatus
Aponogeton Ulvaceus
Bolbitis Heudelotii
Bucephelandra Brownie Blue (new)
Crinum Natans
Cryptocoryne Aponogetifolia
Cryptocoryne Balansae (new)
Cryptocoryne Becketii (new)
Cryptocoryne Cordata 'Grabowski'
Cryptocoryne Crispatula Balansae
Cryptocoryne Griffithii (new)
Cryptocoryne Green Gecko
Cryptocoryne Lucens (new)
Cryptocoryne Nevelli (new)
Cryptocoryne Parva
Cryptocoryne Petchii (new)
Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne Spiralis
Cryptocoryne Walkeri var. Lutea
Cryptocoryne Wendtti (Tropica, De Witt Red (new), Green, Brown)
Cryptocoryne X Willisi
Echinodorus Amazonicus
Echinodorus Argentinensis
Echinodorus Oriental
Echinodorus Osiris
Lace Fern
Red Tiger Lotus

The fish have been doing great, so not much to report there.

Since adding the co2, I have lowered my light back to the rim of the tank (a 6" drop), I suspect my growth rate should improve greatly as well as the overall health of the plants. I am watching very carefully for any signs of algae and will adjust accordingly.

I have also started ageing my water instead of going right from the tap to the tank. This is because I feel the gasses trapped in the water are bothering my fish and causing stress. Using a 55g food grade barrel as the container with a 400 gph pump and a heater to match temp.

In general, since switching to PFS from safe t sorb, all my plants have improved in health. The root systems are far stronger and growth has been great. The bottom dwellers are really enjoying it too.

That's all for now, I hope to be doing more videos (better quality type stuff) for my youtube channel and to share with you all here.

Here are the links to the videos:
Test video 1:
Test video 2:
Test video 3:

Here is my latest video after a big rescape. I am really excited to see how this is going to mature over the next few months.

The video is currently processing and will be a little bit before completely uploaded as its a big file. Its a long video, I was using my new camera and clearly still don't hve it dialed in all that great so I apologize if its not the best footage.

The close up stuff at the end of the video is pretty good though :)

Back