• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wabi Kusa Question

GotCrabs

I'm looking to get a bowl like the one in the photo and create a small Wabi Kusa to sit next to my DSM Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' tank.

Would this need to be covered over, or could I get away with keeping the ADA Amazonia soil moist each day?

Suggestions for plants would be great also please, thank you.

012_zps2mylhpuv.jpg

No need to cover them permanently, misting twice a day is good enough. During the acclimation process you'll need to cover/uncover them until they adjust to room humidity, but after that I find regular misting is sufficient. I also saturate the substrate with old tank water about once a week.

As for what to grow, anything really. If you can get your hands on emersed grown plants, it makes things much easier. Some of my favourites are hydrocotyle tripartita, glosso, ludwigia arcuata and persicaria sp. Porto Velho -- they all do very well at room humidity.

Hi GotCrabs, As Above :) Nice Wabi-Kusa and photo :D The bowl you can order from one of our sponsors https://www.aquasabi.com/ Great price and service :thumbup:

Hey @Greenfinger2, was hoping to hear from you.

I'm in Australia mate, so ordering would be pointless, I'm looking to head down to the local shops today (live in a country town) and look around for something similar to work with, I have left over ADA Amazonia, Glossostiga elatinoides, Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' and have ordered some Ludwigia glandulosa, Ludwigia arcuata and Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' to work with, hopefully it'll all work out and I can create something nice.

Couldn't find what I was after so just got two largish jars with screw on tops, thinking a layer of ADA Amazonia in the bottom, a small carpet of Glosso or 'Monte Carlo' at the front, with a couple stems of Ludwigia glandulosa, Ludwigia arcuata and Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' placed in as well, ADA kept very moist, thinking not to spray but just keep the ADA wet, either keep the jar lid on and take off every couple of days for some new CO2, or drill a small hole in the lid.

thumbnail_IMG_0207_zpsoecwryjo.jpg

I don't know how hot it gets where you live, but if it gets to hot (as where I am) it is better to keep your wabi covered as it dries faster than you could ever keep up with spraying.
Not a problem @Martin in China, will keep them covered a pop the lid off every few days to exchange CO2.

Hey @Greenfinger2, was hoping to hear from you.

I'm in Australia mate, so ordering would be pointless, I'm looking to head down to the local shops today (live in a country town) and look around for something similar to work with, I have left over ADA Amazonia, Glossostiga elatinoides, Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' and have ordered some Ludwigia glandulosa, Ludwigia arcuata and Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' to work with, hopefully it'll all work out and I can create something nice.

Hi GC, I forget sometimes that I am speaking to people around the world :D The jars are great to do W-K in I would replace the lids with clear plastic pots that fit snuggly over the top. So you can light the W-K from above or the plants will lean one way towards the light you want them to grow up and out the jar.

Good luck with your project

Hi GC, I forget sometimes that I am speaking to people around the world :D The jars are great to do W-K in I would replace the lids with clear plastic pots that fit snuggly over the top. So you can light the W-K from above or the plants will lean one way towards the light you want them to grow up and out the jar.

Good luck with your project

Yeah Australia here, not too much interest in Wabi Kusa down here from what I've seen, just a couple here and there on forums.

The jars will sit each side of the DSM tank I have going so should be alright, if not I'll replace the lids, cheers.

Where in Australia are you? I'm in Sydney and never really have a problem with uncovered wabis drying out. They don't like the aircon in summer, but I usually just mist them more frequently.

As for glassware, I've never really found anything I liked either. Most of the time I opt for a stone bowl, but I really like the earthly quality it adds.

Where in Australia are you? I'm in Sydney and never really have a problem with uncovered wabis drying out. They don't like the aircon in summer, but I usually just mist them more frequently.

As for glassware, I've never really found anything I liked either. Most of the time I opt for a stone bowl, but I really like the earthly quality it adds.
Just outside of Adelaide mate, couldn't find anything locally so just thought I'd try something different, starting to get bloody cold down here now!

Back