• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

wabi-kusa question

yong1018

Is the portulacaria afra plant possible to become wabi-kusa?🥲I need to do my wabi-kusa assignment and I bought portulacaria afra plant as my choice. Is it possible to make it become wabi-kusa? or i did a mistake? I need some professor to answer it.

Hi all,
Is it possible to make it become wabi-kusa? or i did a mistake?
No, it is a succulent and won't enjoy wet. You could grow it a "Bonsai".

We have a few wabi-kusa threads <"DIY Wabi Kusa Spaghnum">. A Marsilea sp. has done well with benign neglect (it is @megwattscreative 's really) for me.
IMG_20240304_084344832.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

No, it is a succulent and won't enjoy wet. You could grow it a "Bonsai".

We have a few wabi-kusa threads <"DIY Wabi Kusa Spaghnum">. A Marsilea sp. has done well with benign neglect (it is @megwattscreative 's really) for me.
View attachment 216927

cheers Darrel
Wabi Kusa is commonly referred to growing aquatic plants emerged in the west. In Japanese, Wabi’ denotes something aesthetic, imperfectly beautiful and natural. ‘Kusa’ means ‘grass’ or sometimes ‘plant’. Therefore ‘Wabi-kusa’ does not literally mean that they must be aquatic plants, but denotes something natural, beautiful, sweetly imperfect and involving plants.

Portu afra aka Elephant Bush or dwarf Jade is a succulent resembles Crassula or regular Jade. Both Jade are native of South Africa and require similar growing conditions, yet they belong to different plant genera. Both Jade make excellent bonsai and succulent arrangement. I use them in my succulent arrangement, which is similar to Wabi Kusa in concept but much easier to maintain. The former thrives in low water and neglect, the latter requires high humidity and maintenance. I initially tried Wabi Kusa but it did not do well for me so I gave up in favor of succulents.

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpeg
    IMG_0374.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0459.jpeg
    IMG_0459.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0454.jpeg
    IMG_0454.jpeg