• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Washing substrate

In my best Rab C voice, I've read hings... tee he

Now I maybe understand a certain dust aspect, even then I actually welcome the dust since my plants always seem to look like they do in the garden after I've watered them after the substrates been disturbed. That's not to say I don't wipe/clean anything unsightly as soon as I see it.

BUT

I read somewhere that, the wee artificial glass box we're cultivating develops it's own defence systems by our feck ups/introduced pathogens, whether that be algae, or fish disease. I'm a bit undecided as to what I think about diseases though because I've not got a quarantine tank and my most recent acquisitions seem to have brought fur. In my system they have two weeks to show signs of improvement or alas they're oot.

But I wondered about if you wash out your substrate then aren't you washing out that stuff you can't buy and what makes your tank unique to you? Not meaning to be arsey as I think I could be pulled up on stuff. I add at the start that the corys and loaches (even althouth only 2 remaining loaches were always my focus - just tanks decrease sometimes and despite not seeing them for days on end I know they're watching me.

Anyways, it seems you can buy ADA bakter whatever but not innoculants for your tank or am I talking innoculants :)

- ETA
On reading I realised I had just introduced new CO2 diffuser and was pummelling the poor sods which is more likely the reason for fur!

Last edited:
Back