• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water advice

strangemark

Any idea what is causing film on top, 5 weeks in with a fish in cycle - reading are a little up and down. Completed a 25% water change, as well as 1st cannister filter clean/rinse ( aquarium water used) today. Trying to build up volume of plants in tank, however, there is a resident L191 who is less than tolerant, hence the transition to floating plants 🪴
20240310_181832.jpg

This is quite common especially in an immature tank... It's essentially biofilm and forms easily if your surface is stale, so you would want to look into getting more surface agitation. You can use a surface skimmer to mop it up such as this.

Cheers,
Michael

Yep, as @MichaelJ says, I suspect it is the filter that has not yet reached a maturity level and the surface agitation looks very low.

Is the filter media brand new? Or has it been kick-started by using the grime from another filter or other source?

This is quite common especially in an immature tank... It's essentially biofilm and forms easily if your surface is stale, so you would want to look into getting more surface agitation. You can use a surface skimmer to mop it up such as this.

Cheers,
Michael
Hi Michael,
I was considering getting a skimmer. Thought I might get away with it as I have a spray bar that give quite good movement, just not enough apparently!

Cheers Mark

Yep, as @MichaelJ says, I suspect it is the filter that has not yet reached a maturity level and the surface agitation looks very low.

Is the filter media brand new? Or has it been kick-started by using the grime from another filter or other source?
Hi Bradley's,

Fresh start unfortunately, I did have another tank set up but did not want to use media/a squeeze of old sponges in the tank as it had snails which O did not want in the new tank. Ironically, I have snails from the frogbit now anyway 😂🤣

I might get my airstones in action 😁
Cheers

Mark

While you are cycling, one option is to remove the spray bar and replace it with the standard nozzle pointing at the surface, which will really agitate.

Or, as @hypnogogia says, direct that spray bar more at the surface.

@strangemark is that a spray bar? Is it possible to move it closer to the surface such that the holes are level with the water surface to to ensure better surface agitation?
It is actually at the surface, it just lacks the power to reach the full length of the tank. However, I did chuck in a large air pad last night so will be interested to see what impact that has had over night.

Cheers

Mark

The picture really doesn't capture the true movement of surface water, but there is much more movement now. I also have a skimmer on order, so hopefully I will have a much clearer surface soon - this weekend will be 6 weeks into a fish in cycle, does anyone have experience of fish in cycles and time frames for BB build up?
20240312_065630.jpg

As a very rough rule, you want to see ammonia stable (0) for one week, then nitrite stable (0) for one week, and then hopefully you will start to see some nitrates increase as well which means it’s doing its thing. In short, you need to be taking readings as a guide to where you are. Do you have any to share now out of interest?

I don’t know what filter you have but that water should stop being as cloudy once it’s cycled. What filter are you using and what media?

As a very rough rule, you want to see ammonia stable (0) for one week, then nitrite stable (0) for one week, and then hopefully you will start to see some nitrates increase as well which means it’s doing its thing. In short, you need to be taking readings as a guide to where you are. Do you have any to share now out of interest?

I don’t know what filter you have but that water should stop being as cloudy once it’s cycled. What filter are you using and what media?
Surface has cleared somewhat since adding the air stone. As for results I have none recorded all around 0.3 - 0.6 ppm. Water pH is high 7.5 - 8 but looking at nitrites and ammonia against pH range it is in an OK place (not stressing fish out) for a new tank, would just like it lower
17102675107367040352062730940196.jpg

Surface has cleared somewhat since adding the air stone. As for results I have none recorded all around 0.3 - 0.6 ppm. Water pH is high 7.5 - 8 but looking at nitrites and ammonia against pH range it is in an OK place (not stressing fish out) for a new tank, would just like it lower

I would - at least temporarily - move that air stone towards the center of the tank to get more coverage. Having it sitting there at the corner reduce the efficiency a lot in terms of breaking up the biofilm. You may even get aways with slightly less bobbles by doing so.

Hope your going to add more plants eventually - this will dramatically speed up the maturing process of the tank :)

Cheers,
Michael

I would - at least temporarily - move that air stone towards the center of the tank to get more coverage. Having it sitting there at the corner reduce the efficiency a lot in terms of breaking up the biofilm. You may even get aways with slightly less bobbles by doing so.

Hope your going to add more plants eventually - this will dramatically speed up the maturing process of the tank :)

Cheers,
Michael
It seems to be doing a reasonable job where it is, however, if the biofilm continues I may follow your advise and move it to a more central position. With regards to plants, I want loads, my only issue is my L191 who seems to object to me adding plants 😂🤣 hence the frogbit.

Cheers

Mark

Yeah, it's a bit of a bouncing game - you want to keep the PH above 6.5 and below 8.5.

If it were me, I would not clean the filter during the cycling (unless you really have to), keep checking your parameters and leave it alone until the water starts to clear.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, the water is looking so much clearer! Skimmer arrived yesterday and looks so much better after being in there over night 👍
17104234466346884388254878247246.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, the water is looking so much clearer! Skimmer arrived yesterday and looks so much better after being in there over night 👍

Thats great to hear! Yes, that looks better for sure.

Btw. What are you going to do with that massive Dull Eyed Royal Pleco ? ... If you want a nicely planted tank you will probably have to find a new home for it.

Cheers,
Michael

Back