• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water butt water has ammonia and nitrite

It is interesting that cats and dogs will always show a preference for rain water rather than tap water.

We have numerous water buts around the house that collect water from our 120 year old roof tiles.
Personally I would not drink the water... but our animals do show a strong preference to do so as do the wild birds.
I have used collected rain water in my fish tanks for decades with no noticeable ill effects but of course I have lost fish for unknown reasons !
Obviously standing water for long periods in a collection butt is not the best way to store water but i have more issues trying to keep them full as I use so much.

How do you get the spie Uli and back out of the water so that it doesn’t go into your tank?

I sprinkle the tip of a teaspoon over the top of the water each day in the morning, and it takes the rest of the day to slowly make it's way down to the daphnia whom like to come to the top.

no noticeable ill effects

Totally agree, fish are very different to mammals, and especially humans. I look at it all a bit like smoking. [thread hijack - sorry] I'm just switching from mains to rainwater harvesting, and I'll probably try to find a good aquifer to source bottled water. I'm actually rather interested in domestic air filters right now. Just in case there is another nuclear fallout event, and because I see lots of poorly-regulated and dangerous emissions in my day job.

even if the water freezes over, as long as it doesn't freeze right to the bottom.
I don't think it will actually freeze the whole water column ( I hope not!) but I can't confirm as I can't see into the water tank.

With your encouragement, I will have a go. This would be a great for water changes because I can give the fish a little feed also. :cigar:

All our cats have always <"drunk rain-water">.
I wondered whether drinking acidic rainwater would cause teeth to look like this?
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2a/8a/c9/2a8ac9a1845c9e50973e6439e2ea5ff8.jpg

2a8ac9a1845c9e50973e6439e2ea5ff8.jpg

Hi all,
I wondered whether drinking acidic rainwater would cause teeth to look like this?
Hard water is much better for your teeth. I love our tap water, it is from a deep limestone aquifer <"and tastes lovely">. I really dislike soft water to drink, you can feel it dissolving your tongue when you drink it.

I've told the cat that she would be better off <"drinking from the pond">, and she has listened to me, which is a first.

cheers Darrel

Hi @sparkyweasel & everyone
Stock the water butt with Daphnia and Cyclops. As long as they survive, there's nothing i there that will harm your fish or shrimps. Plus, free fish food.

Please be aware that there could be ammonia/nitrite in the water butt and this would not be a problem for the Daphnia. In fact, ammonium nitrate is used to culture Daphnia. Please see the section headed 'Feeding or Fertilizing' bullet point 2 below:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa024

I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise that Daphnia (and Moina) are OK with ammonia as they seem to thrive on rotting manure.

Needless to say, fish and other creatures would not welcome this water when added to their tanks!

JPC

Hi,
Grass cuttings will also provide extra ammonia and nitrite as they rot, so I don't think this is the best way forward. If you want to use a natural method then it would be better to put a living pond plant in there.

Also be very careful with any nitrogen compound test kit. They are notoriously unreliable and will usually lead you astray.

Cheers,

Apologies for jumping in on this thread. Just wanted to say...
Welcome back @ceg4048 long time no see. But that's probably because I have been out of the planted tank hobby for a long time while I have been breeding Wild Iripixi Royal Discus, but now the plant bug has bitten again....🙄🙄😬

Back