• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Change...I am confused!

Bertie

Hi,
I have got myself confused on how many, and how much water changes to do.
At the moment I have a Rio 180 planted tank with pressurised co2 feeding double dose of a complete fert. At the moment I am changing 10% to 15% daily and a 50% change once a week.

I have perhaps read too much about this, but some say 50% once a week is enough and others say as much as you can as often as you can :confused:. I just want to get it right!

As I am retired, and at home everyday, the time taken for a daily water change is not a problem, but I would like a definitive answer as I want to do the best for my plants and my fishes.

Bert, the min recommended is 50% a week but you could do 50% a day if you wanted to.
Your method is fantastic & can only help keep the tanks environment in the best possible condition, if your routine is not to much trouble then keep it up:)

Thanks foxfish....I am happy that I am doing the right thing....I will have to stop researching too much as there is so much conflicting advice out there! ;)

Hi Foxfish,
The tank is going ok...bit of algae coming back..I changed the front lamp to a Juwel "colour" tube (6400k) on Saturday. I am thinking of changing substrate and when I can get the naff background changed I will post a pic (or plants disguise it ;) ). Will not be able to change the background until the tank is empty as it is right against a wall.

I dont mean to hijack this thread but i am only asking since it seems that your problem has been resolved.

My tank is low tech and lightly planted with a fine gravel substrate. the only dosing i do is 1ml easy carbo and 1ml TNC complete daily, (54 liter tank, single 24w light 10 hours a day).

I do a 30-40% water change every week, Is that enough?

Back