• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Water changes with floating plants?

BarryH

I love the floating plants I have in the Harlquin Rasbora tank but they're proving a bugger when it comes to doing weekly water changes and tidying up in general. Apart from a hole where the outflow disturbs the surface, I'd guess about 80% of the surface is covered.

For those of you that have floating plants, do you remove the plants before doing a water change and put them back when everything's finished or is there some other method?

SRP3006

I remove them, keep them moist somewhere and when I'm done I trim the roots of the frogbit and place them back on top the water. Pita leaving them in place as you have probably realised.

BarryH

Brilliant, thanks for the reply. I really like the idea of trimming the Frogbit roots whilst it's out of the tank.

Wookii

The guy in these videos uses a really good technique for removing and replace the floating plants using a metal comb - beautifully put together videos incidentally too.

BarryH

I can also see that floating plants give shade to the fish and also restricts some of the light from reaching the bottom of the tank. When I set the tank up, I planted a carpet of Eleocharis Acicularis and this is growing well but where the "hole" is in the floating plants, it's doing so much better.

Last edited: