• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Changes.

youmustcomply

How do you guys do water changes?
I have been using containers that I have made up allowed to warm for a week, then use to do water change.

This is a hassle as i am now removing 50% of water so im thinking of just bunging the hose pipe into the tank, stick some dechorinator in and bobs your uncle.

Would the change in temp affect the fish?

youmustcomply said:
How do you guys do water changes?
I have been using containers that I have made up allowed to warm for a week, then use to do water change.

This is a hassle as i am now removing 50% of water so im thinking of just bunging the hose pipe into the tank, stick some dechorinator in and bobs your uncle.

Would the change in temp affect the fish?

Hi

have a look at the attached thread short cut - may be helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9776&start=20#p105470

Also have a read at this one as well.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4738#p52312

Wrong water temperature will affect the fish - I got mine wrong one week all went to the bottom where it was warmer.

Regards
paul.

I use the hosepipe off my kitchen mixer tap and get the temp somewhere near most times. Also on a big tank, filling it slowly like this, I learned from many folk that there's no need for dechlorinator. Not used the stuff for ages now :)

Thanks for the links.
Ive never thought about using water from a mixer tap. I think i have been put off because its generally been through more copper.

Gfish said:
I use the hosepipe off my kitchen mixer tap and get the temp somewhere near most times. Also on a big tank, filling it slowly like this, I learned from many folk that there's no need for dechlorinator. Not used the stuff for ages now :)

No dechlore? what about the effect on the BB?

I'm quite liking the mixer tap option as my tank is close to the kitchen. Also using hot water from the boiler is probably alot cheaper than having the 200w heater heat the water up over a couple of hours.

Gfish said:
What do you mean? BB? Sorry to be a bit clueless :-/

Benificial bactieria.

The whole point of using declorinator is the remove the chlorine before it harms the bacteria.

I understand that heavly planted tanks go through less of a cycle but surely adding chlorine to the tank will introduce a small ammonia spike causing an algae bloom too!

I think using dechlor is a sure safe method. Some dont use it at all and simply just do a water change.
However it all depends on how much water you are displacing. I tend to do a 50% water change each weekend and usually a small 30% during the week in the past (when my discus fish were growing)

I was introduced to the hosepipe idea by LondonDragon when I went to visit him a few years ago and havent looked back since.

For my 250lt tank I use the kitchen mixer tap and one of these

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... =266993459

You have to tighten it quite a lot or the pressure causes it to leak, but it does make 50% w/c even on my 250lt a doddle. For smaller tanks I just use a bucket or 5lt bottle and mix cold into hot to get roughly the right temperature.

As for dechlorinating, for me the very small cost of the solution is a price worth paying just to be sure its safe. Does that mean I have to use it, probably not, but I like too all the same just to be on the safe side. It also then means that should the water company get over enthusiastic with the chlorine in the water without me knowing, I'm covered.

Sam

Were all aware that the chlorine in tapwater evaporates yes? But has anyone ever tested to see how long that takes? I don't know.
I heard from alot of big cichlid keepers that on their big tanks that they do 50% waterchanges on, they don't use dechlorinator, but they fill the tank slowly with a hosepipe.
As for it harming bacteria, well, I'm often told to stop testing my water and let the plants speak for themselves. In this instance I'm letting the fish speak for themselves, and so far after months of not using dechlorinator on my 720litre tank, they've looked fine. Two huge filters and masses of media seem to be keeping things in order.
I do still use it on my 3ft though.

Cheers

Gfish said:
Were all aware that the chlorine in tapwater evaporates yes? But has anyone ever tested to see how long that takes? I don't know.
Cheers

Gfish

As far as I am aware the chlorine is injected into the water as a gas and by allowing the water to stand for 24 hrs will allow the gas to vent from the water

Regards
Paul.

I found a Hozelock equivalent in The Range for £1.99, and it seems to be working a treat.

This will certainly make my 50% water changes alot easier :D

Back