• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water movement, surface scum and biofilm in my tank

Gilles

I have a Fluval FX6 attached to my Aqua Medic 1000 reactor (currently still filled with bio balls). I have 2 problems at this moment, but plants are doing great!

1) After cleaning my filter, i always get some bio film (either attached to the bio-balls in the AM1000 reactor or still present in the pipes) which is blown into my tank.
I would like to have a solution for this; i could go and attach the output of my pump to the drain for 5 minutes.. how do you guys minimize the amount of left-over debris which enters your tank? I am thinking of removing the bioballs altogether. That would remove the goo in the AM1000 filter, but increase the flow and throughput which adds to the second problem i have..

2) I have a biofilm which does not seem to go away. I currently have a surface extractor, but the Fluval FX6' power is to much and the surface floater makes a gurgling sound and ultimately drops beneath the water surface.So here i would like to remove my surface extractor, e.g. replace it with a normal intake at the bottom of the tank; and split the (current) output of 1x 25mm tube into 2x 25mm. If flow is to low i can always shrink this to 2x20mm or even 2x16mm. Currently the outflow is at 5cm below water surface so i think that also is a cause for the biofilm, since my water surface isn't moving enough. Any thoughts or tips here?

I have a Fluval FX6 attached to my Aqua Medic 1000 reactor (currently still filled with bio balls). I have 2 problems at this moment, but plants are doing great!

1) After cleaning my filter, i always get some bio film (either attached to the bio-balls in the AM1000 reactor or still present in the pipes) which is blown into my tank.
I would like to have a solution for this; i could go and attach the output of my pump to the drain for 5 minutes.. how do you guys minimize the amount of left-over debris which enters your tank? I am thinking of removing the bioballs altogether. That would remove the goo in the AM1000 filter, but increase the flow and throughput which adds to the second problem i have..

2) I have a biofilm which does not seem to go away. I currently have a surface extractor, but the Fluval FX6' power is to much and the surface floater makes a gurgling sound and ultimately drops beneath the water surface.So here i would like to remove my surface extractor, e.g. replace it with a normal intake at the bottom of the tank; and split the (current) output of 1x 25mm tube into 2x 25mm. If flow is to low i can always shrink this to 2x20mm or even 2x16mm. Currently the outflow is at 5cm below water surface so i think that also is a cause for the biofilm, since my water surface isn't moving enough. Any thoughts or tips here?

Hi gilles
Hope your well.
If your going to split your outlet I'd opt for 2 x 16mm. You flow is already reduced massively by adding in the am1000 reactor if you've not done a Y split and got the reactor on one hose and nothing on the other, so splitting to 2 x 25mm is going to give you very little flow.
With regards to the debris spill out after cleaning, this is a common occurance with the fx6/fx5. It's done it with All of mine. I either hold a big wad of floss onto the outlets when it's switched back on or put the outlet in a bucket and let it initially fill this that will make sure no debris comes into the tank.
Regarding surface film, you could diy a acrylic rod for an outlet pipe, or if your splitting flow to 2 x 16mm you can attach lily pipes which will then help rid the scum.
Another option is to point one of the fx6 outlets to the surface during lights out to get rid of the scum.

Hope that helps mate

Hi Alastair, all is fine thanks for asking. I am thinking of replacing the AM1000 (which has 16/22 connection) with a DIY one, which has connections matching the hose diameter of the FX6; which will basically be an empty acrylic long tube. CO2 will accumulate but flow won't be blocked. The FX6 only has 1 outlet; if i'd split it; would adding 2x 3/4 loc-line with flare nozzles be of any good?

Hi gilles
Hope your well.
If your going to split your outlet I'd opt for 2 x 16mm. You flow is already reduced massively by adding in the am1000 reactor if you've not done a Y split and got the reactor on one hose and nothing on the other, so splitting to 2 x 25mm is going to give you very little flow.
So i've bought 2x 3/4" locline with flare nozzles; going to remove the AM1000 tomorrow, empty it, clean it and put it back together see if that makes a difference, i would guess so.

So i've bought 2x 3/4" locline with flare nozzles; going to remove the AM1000 tomorrow, empty it, clean it and put it back together see if that makes a difference, i would guess so.

Show some pics when done mate

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Back