water temperature affecting plants?

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by tanker, 19 Sep 2008.

1. tanker

tanker Member

About 2 months back, plants in my aquarium was doing really bad. glosso melts, moss that did not really take off started dying, other plants's growth just sort of stopped. that was the period where weather was rather hot here, at least 30C everyday. it didnt occur to me that water temperature was an important factor

until someone suggested to be to fix a cooling fan that lowers water temperature by at least 1 or 2C. after 2 weeks, moss seems to take off now, plants pearl more. i do not have a temperature reading device, but i do feel that the water is cooler compared to without cooling fan.

Anyone experienced problems with water temperature?

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi tanker,
    Higher temperatures increase the metabolism of plants and algae. So for tropical aquatic plants this should not be a problem in and of itself. Temperate zone plants can also do well at higher temperatures. As temperatures rise though, gasses such as O2 and CO2 become less soluble and so evaporate from solution more quickly. Melting plants are typically a sign of poor CO2.

Cheers,