• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Waterbox Cube 10 complete beginner

That's my plan 2 clowns and a clean up crew, going to get the smallest ones possible.
I keep a pair of ocellaris in an 180l, and they use about half of that, in a 10g with plenty of corals and other stuff I think they might be a bit cramped. As seedoubleyou mentioned, they can get quite chunky (especially the females). When they breed (which they will do if you give them good conditions) they'll also get protective of their home area; in my case they are the only fish in there, but any macroalgae that encroach on their anemones do get their tips "pruned" off. In a 10g you risk them claiming the entire tank as their territory, with them harassing the rest of the inhabitants when they have eggs every other week. Something smaller and/or more sedentary would be my choice instead, maybe one or two Gobiodon okinawae?

Hi everyone quick update , picked up water on Tuesday however had a terrible few days with our family dog having to be put to sleep so didn't get anything done, thought i would have to get cracking as back at work tomorrow for 4 days.

Got sand and water in today, firstly a few questions, got temperature set to 25 degrees C, I have put all the following in the pump chamber is this correct and will it OK if pump stops etc ? Also tank is a few mm over edge but think will be OK as my aquascapers where exactly the same.

Temperature probe from the controller
ATO pipe and probe
Heater
Pump.

Is it OK all that being in same chamber ?
Also do all the items look OK like the water level ? Heter depth ? ATO sensor ?

Any help appreciated, also checked my water and on my refractometer says on the left 1.027 and right was about 36.

I have purchased shop bought water as easier for me. Going to run the tank till I am next off next week with no lights then going at add the fritzyme turbo start and next day add a pair of very small clowns and run for month or 2 before adding any coral.

Any recomendations appreciated.
Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230505_120014.jpg
    20230505_120014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • 20230505_120042.jpg
    20230505_120042.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 20230505_120038.jpg
    20230505_120038.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230505_120025.jpg
    20230505_120025.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 96
Put the heater in 2nd chamber and temperature sitting around 24.9 ish.

Running no problem, when lights iff this week is there anything I should be doing at all ?
Need a scraper thinking the flipper float nano thunk that's there smallest.

Do my salinity levels seem correct ?

Would you do water change before adding bacteria and clowns next week ?

Thanks dean

Looking good Dean, great start.

Bring your salinity down to 35ppt, no need to do anything with the tank while you're waiting to put your bacteria in.

I would do a WC if it were me, probs not needed but will help clear up any dust/debris from the sand and rock.

Looking good Dean, great start.

Bring your salinity down to 35ppt, no need to do anything with the tank while you're waiting to put your bacteria in.

I would do a WC if it were me, probs not needed but will help clear up any dust/debris from the sand and rock.
Thanks mate, I am buying premade water so will check again tomorrow, purchased 2 large barrels and it sat fir few days that shouldn't matter should it ? Only need 2x25l barrels for first fill then will only need 5L a week so will get one at a time but sure other will come in handy at some point. Thanks nick 😁

Thanks @Gill , we said we wouldn't get another dog however the house feels empty and kids gutted so we going to see puppy's tomorrow 😅

Mind the waterbox pump is very noisy 😒 would you recommend a lid ?

Thanks dean

2 clowns went in today with some fritz turbo start. What would you be checking daily now ? Ammonia nitrite and nitrite.

Plan on leaving these in there for week then adding snail and smallest hermit crab and goby and shrimp pair. Then corals after that.

Got my lights on from 10.00-20.00
As follows
Uv 45%
V 60%
RY 75%
B 60%
G 5%
DR 5%
ML 0%
CW 10%

I want low lights to minimise algae what you think you think levels are OK? Also trying to figure out how to use the lunar function and struggling.

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230511_153816.jpg
    20230511_153816.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 83
  • 20230511_154652.jpg
    20230511_154652.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 87
Hey Dean.

I would be checking ammonia and nitrite to make sure there are no spikes.

As for the lighting, it's very easy to get caught up in all the settings and channels etc, but I wouldn't worry about it yet (or at all really), pick a colour spectrum you like and go with that for now, for me it's a little blue but that could just be the pics. I'd also cut the lights down to 8 hours while it's still new and the ugly phase is on the way ;):).

Checked ammonia nitrate and nitrite today, salinity is just over the 35 level on on refractometer.

I have the salifert test kits can I ask how you check what is the best way? Looking down through the liquid looks clear however from side I can see colour.

Also turned lights off apart from 20 percent moon light just for a small amount of light for us, hopefully this really helps.

Also I washed out the Test tubes and syringe with ro water, I tool a cup of water from tank and replaced with cup of saltwater for testing.

I think level were around
ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0-0.25
Nitrate 10-25

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230512_152551.jpg
    20230512_152551.jpg
    989.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230512_152558.jpg
    20230512_152558.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230512_152952.jpg
    20230512_152952.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
Haven't used the salifert kits in a while, but think they tell you in the instructions how to view them, just make sure its sunlight as it really helps.

I wouldn't cut out lights though, a day/night cycle will be good for the fish, just reduce the overall intensity, I know you are worried about algae etc, but there isn't much you can do in the early stages, it is imo inevitable that you will go through the ugly stage with algae.

I hear that adding lots of copepods early can help

I hear that adding lots of copepods early can help
As Nick says. The ugly phase is inevitable. It’s best to get it going by having the lights on from the off (reduced).
Building a strong population of copepods is definitely worthwhile, both now and in the long run as they help to mitigate many nuisance algae’s.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, lights will be on properly from today, clowns seem to be doing fine, not sure if I should put the nero 3 on low they seem fine with the stock pump but may enjoy a bit extra flow ?

Also debating adding a cheap easy corral or something this week or would you wait ? Or maybe a snail or something.

Thanks dean

Hey Dean.

I would personally be leaving it a while longer before adding corals, while I am sure something like mushrooms would be fine, corals in general like a bit of stability that only time brings.

Snails, hermits, and other clean-up crew I would start adding.

I would have the Nero on, marines like flow, and a lot of it :), it will also help with things cyano which can plague new tanks.

Wasnt sure what to do with nero, so I have put on random flow 15-45% don't know of jeeds to be certain times or just constantly on .

You think that sounds OK? Also placed below the outflow. Lights no on and changed so less blue.

I did large water change earlier of 8L or so but dropped temp nearly 2 degrees so I need a 2nd heater for water changes
Also been feeding with pumps on etc is that OK?

I may go get some snails this week but getting puppy so will see of get time.

Ps not as blue as pic looks

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230518_165844.jpg
    20230518_165844.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 20230518_165952.jpg
    20230518_165952.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
It’s actually a really open debate on when to add corals,
Corals don’t actually require a cycled tank so provided the essential elements were stable, you could in theory add them.
Typically new tanks and especially those of new reefers aren’t stable or are certainly more prone to swings due to mistakes (like not heating the water).
If a second heater isn’t an option, then perhaps more frequent smaller water changes would suit (it would actually provide better stability in the long run).

As for the powerhead / wave maker (Nero 3)
Having it on will help kick up detritus and clean the tank, random flow is ideal yes, and I’d personally have it placed on a side opposing the outflow nozzle (this will create further random flow as the two opposing streams of water meet).
I appreciate that aesthetically it looks nicer camouflaged against the black background, so that’s your choice.

I think adding snails now is a great option, 1 conch will sort the sandbed and 1-2 astrea snails will tidy up everything else. (Don’t bother with trochus snails which are commonly available in the hobby, they’re not that great. They often jam your powerhead or like to sit within the fan so you are woken by the rattling noise it makes whilst striking their shells. You will also be horrified when it comes to spawning and they cloud your tank like milk. Seriously, it’s incredible how one small snail can fill a tank with a white cloud)

If not already. Try out PE mysis for the clownfish as part of their varied diet, IMO they’re the best frozen mysis on the market.
Some selcon vitamin is also great for soaking food in and getting the best out of fish.

Sorry for the lengthy post; all these new reef tanks are really making me miss keeping one.

Last edited:
Good advice above, especially on the corals, stability is key and new tanks rarely have it, this is why I suggested waiting. I have been keeping marine for 15+ years and will still be waiting for a few months before adding corals.

Again flow advice is spot on, random flow is great, and no need to change it at different times of the day etc. I would also move it on the opposite side.

Sorry for the lengthy post; all these new reef tanks are really making me miss keeping on
Yep, I promised myself no more with the costs of everything but am now in the process of setting up a new one lol

costs of everything
Won’t bog down the thread, but it’s a real shame that frags are getting smaller and prices are getting higher.
Even hobbyists are ripping each other off with over priced tiny frags.
That said, a beautiful reef doesn’t have to be expensive, simple corals arranged well can look as good as any Acropora tank.

No I am loving the thread and great advice that's greatly appreciated every little helps so thanks again 😊.

I will try get the snails and a conch at some point when get a bit time and wait on the corrals to be safe. I will also check out the food you mentioned.

Also check out "the reef experience" my local shop the guys there are really great and the prices also seem great as they want a community vibe similar to horizon and repeate customers so trying to keep prices low.

I wonder if 2l water change every other day would be better ? Maybe I.dont even need that much as only 41l volume. Although a spare heater wouldn't be a bad thing either , what size change would you do weekly ? Freshwater plants are more Hardy and used to get water to similar temp from the sink.

The opposite side has a basket with media in but will see if magnet fits with the magnet and place at opposite side.

Thanks @seedoubleyou and @Nick potts

Back