• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Waterbox Cube 10 complete beginner

I'd be looking at doing around 10-15% WC per week, but smaller, more frequent changes are fine. The biggest difference between freshwater and marine imo is their ability to withstand swings and changes, the ocean is just so stable the inhabitants are used to rock steady parameters.

I’d do as big as you can comfortably manage and afford with water changes. You’re tank will never complain about too much new water. (Provided the parameters and temp match).

As Nick said, the ocean has pretty solid stability, the only thing that comes and goes is nutrients i.e food.

Mikeymikemike, although he hasn’t posted in a while has some great videos on his approach to reef keeping.

Last edited:
Think I will get 2x25l tubs of saltwater so I can do 4 , 10l water changes so 10l a week also get another heater to do this so keeps stable. I will get 2x saltwater and 1 RO.

When you talk about opposite side for nero 3 you mean under the inlet, don't want on the outer glass I can see but if was under the inlet the outflow water will be hitting the nero 3 outflow and create decent waves etc and any idea on the strength if the nero 3 ? Pic added 1 below inlet or 2 on the right hand panel facing the left hand side of tank.

Attachments

• 20230518_165844.jpg
    20230518_165844.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Changed and turbulence in the water seems better 😊, next week qhen off going to hopefully get conch and astrea snails. Can't wait loving this so far.

Magnet JUST fit infront if my media basket, was a scrape down but fit so glad about that.

Attachments

• 20230520_154617.jpg
    20230520_154617.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
Quick update tank been going well clowns seem happy, just been to purchase some snails but no conch in stick so got 2 astrea snails , also picked up a bag of copepods should have taken out my media floss first but didn't think hopefully some survived. Hopefully some conch and a goby pistol shrimp combo next few weeks and hopefully not too long until corals.

Purchased a few bottles one for frozen food and one for RO to clean refractometer etc. How much frozen should I add to one of the bottles with some tank water and allow to defrost ? Plan was then to put in fridge after until next day?

Also got a titanium heater. A larger one and I will use current heater for water changes , got a hugo kamashi one.

How deep should the heater go in as in store I was told not to submerge whole thing ?

I imagine past the minimum titanium bit but below wire

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230527_131657.jpg
    20230527_131657.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • 20230527_143719.jpg
    20230527_143719.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 78
Hey Dean,

I’ve always submerged my titanium heaters completely. When I had a Red Sea max nano I had the heater flat against the sump floor.
Is there something different about this one perhaps?

Defrosted frozen can last a few days refrigerated. A pair of small clowns will only need half a cube initially for the day (if that).
Just ensure they’re getting a variety (mysis, brine shrimp, vitamins etc…….)
Once the tank has other inhabitants i.e. goby / shrimp and coral that are all eating the food too, you might use up a cube a day. (But then again you might not)

You’ll just have to judge for yourself.

A long pipette will be invaluable also, this will help in spot feeding certain corals and the pistol shrimp.

Cheers,
Chris.

Yeah it says on instructions to fully submerge so will just do that.

How do I go about using the frozen cubes as up to now I have only fed prebiotic dry food, do I add half a cube in one of them bottles with some tank water ? I will also gmstick up on a few types this week mate.

Something else I have been curious about is my salt water OK standing for a month as u hopefully have enough for 4 weeks ?

Can't wait to get goby and shrimp and conch in there then filled by some easy corrals, I imagine that's when I will need to start doing weekly testing.

Thanks dean

In honesty, using the bottles suits larger tanks better. I’d personally just defrost a cube in RO water in a small pot with a lid (so you can refrigerate it) and then just use tweezers to add the food to the tank. You could probably even just spot feed the clowns so nothing is being wasted.

Storing saltwater all depends on the brand, some have to be used straight away, some store pretty well.
I always used NSW then changed to ATI absolute ocean which is a concentrated saltwater that comes in two parts. You then just dilute it with RO (it’s not cheap).

In honesty, using the bottles suits larger tanks better. I’d personally just defrost a cube in RO water in a small pot with a lid (so you can refrigerate it) and then just use tweezers to add the food to the tank. You could probably even just spot feed the clowns so nothing is being wasted.

Storing saltwater all depends on the brand, some have to be used straight away, some store pretty well.
I always used NSW then changed to ATI absolute ocean which is a concentrated saltwater that comes in two parts. You then just dilute it with RO (it’s not cheap).
Yeah I think using tweezers or pipettes be better to spot feed as you say, will find a bottle and add small amount of ro then feed that way 😁.

Hopefully water OK sitting, be OK so far just not sure on sort of shelf life but along as salt dissolved etc hopefully should he fine, just a waiting game now for it to mature.

Been cleaning glass with my denerle cleanator and used card around bottom , going to order a tunze one but only have plastic blades on smaller nano ones or can you fit metal blades to nano ones? I will most likely take out when not using anyway.

Thanks dean

As above, I would be spot-feeding for the minute, turn pumps off, and either tweezers or small pipette/syringe to feed.

Total opposite of what I would normally advise but with the lack of liverock and the myriad of scavengers it brings in its best to avoid too much waste food going in at the beginning.

If you are going to store your saltwater, make sure you keep it in a cool, dark place to stop algae and bacteria etc growing.

As above, I would be spot-feeding for the minute, turn pumps off, and either tweezers or small pipette/syringe to feed.

Total opposite of what I would normally advise but with the lack of liverock and the myriad of scavengers it brings in its best to avoid too much waste food going in at the beginning.

If you are going to store your saltwater, make sure you keep it in a cool, dark place to stop algae and bacteria etc growing.
Yeah in in she cupboard and will certainly do that thanks mate

Also placed heater to this depth

Attachments

• 20230528_103101.jpg
    20230528_103101.jpg
    921.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
To give you perspective for the marine system in MA. I used 1 whole blister pack of Mysis and 1 brine shrimp, and then 10ml phytoplankton 10ml zooplankton and a squirt of garlic. And then 30mins later flake/pellets for the fish/shrimp and for the corals that needed spot feeding pellets or sprats. And 6 Sprats for the meatier fish.

To give you perspective for the marine system in MA. I used 1 whole blister pack of Mysis and 1 brine shrimp, and then 10ml phytoplankton 10ml zooplankton and a squirt of garlic. And then 30mins later flake/pellets for the fish/shrimp and for the corals that needed spot feeding pellets or sprats. And 6 Sprats for the meatier fish.
What size tank was this? Was it heavily stocked?

Great start @Deano3 and wonderful to see everyone rallying to lend you their experience 😎

On the saltwater storage, regardless of salt brand, it’s good practice to keep it moving and heated between 20-25C. Parameters can shift across time otherwise whilst the saltwater is stored. Not too much of an issue whilst you’re fish only really, just keep an eye on the salinity before water changing, but food for thought once you add corals.

Loving the progress, will be following along on your journey 😊

Great start @Deano3 and wonderful to see everyone rallying to lend you their experience 😎

On the saltwater storage, regardless of salt brand, it’s good practice to keep it moving and heated between 20-25C. Parameters can shift across time otherwise whilst the saltwater is stored. Not too much of an issue whilst you’re fish only really, just keep an eye on the salinity before water changing, but food for thought once you add corals.

Loving the progress, will be following along on your journey 😊
Hi Geoffrey hope you are well my friend, I have been keeping an eye on your journals but been a bit quiet, life is very busy sometimes so it is hard i know 😊 i never seem to have a minute with the 2 kids and now puppy, glad your back and looking at the jurnal mate , forgot how hard work puppys are mind 🤣 anyway I tried a marine forum but can't beat ukaps for the help and support as you say.
Had a great deal of help from the members on here as always so very greatfull.

Tank doing great checked ammonia nitrite and nitrate yesterday and all pretty much zero also checked salinity and was exactly 35. Also heated water before water change.

Really enjoying the marine so far just can't wait to get some corrals in there.

Attached a picture of Leo, my 9 week old staffordshire bull terrier, I know should only be fish buy couldn't resist.

Dean

Attachments

• 20230520_104626.jpg
    20230520_104626.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
Stop posting pics of puppies as I’ll get broody for one.
Both very cute.

If either have never or perhaps have considered a raw diet. Primal raw is a great site that sells numerous brands of raw food, that I’ve found works out just as cheap as dry kibble.

Back