• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Waterbox Cube 10 complete beginner

If either have never or perhaps have considered a raw diet. Primal raw is a great site that sells numerous brands of raw food, that I’ve found works out just as cheap as dry kibble.
Our older westie (now 10) was on a raw food diet until he developed bladder stones and needed to move to a lower protein diet, it we may consider it for junior once she’s old enough.

Sunning and cute westie, yes I totally forgot as I imagine you did how much time they take up 😅, think he getting bored in house now so looking forward to him being able to go out on walks and days out. When we got him he was on raw but for ease and convenience have put him on kibble along with salmon oil for his coat etc. But possible look into this in future.
And don't get broody @seedoubleyou 🤣 It's not all fun he must go to toilet around 10 times a day 😅.

Back to fishies 😊, does anyone use the tunze cleaner ? Should I get the nano one and will I be able to add metal blade as have plastic one.

Thanks dean

Ok here's my Basshole
20230528_151526.jpg

tunze cleaner ?
I used the tunze nano, I actually preferred the plastic as the saltwater can’t rust it. With the best of intentions, It’s difficult to prevent anything metal rusting, even by drying it off each time.

I also used a long glass scraper for the back panel etc and often just put a sponge against the glass and used the rod to move it around.

Back to fishies 😊, does anyone use the tunze cleaner ? Should I get the nano one and will I be able to add metal blade as have plastic one.

Thanks dean
I use it. The nano is OK, but I'd recommend the long as that will also remove GSA and has a nice wide blade. The long also comes with plastic blade and a metal blade, so you can decide what to use.

I use it. The nano is OK, but I'd recommend the long as that will also remove GSA and has a nice wide blade. The long also comes with plastic blade and a metal blade, so you can decide what to use.
Typical already ordered the nano, to be fair hopefully be fine for my size tank 😊 thanks for recomendations anyway, if I need a bit extra I will order the long.

Tank ticking along , no ugly phase yet ? Some bronze on top on rock but not much at all, all inhabitants doing great, did large water change today, feeding fish tonight i nearly made a silly mistake, turned off pump and forgot to switch back on, when I realised I switched on and temp went up to 26 degrees with controller beeping , realised that heated up middle chamber then when I put pump on pumped into last chamber where the sensor is, luckily wasn't to bad just need to be careful. Hopefully I can get hold of a conch soon.

Dean

Attachments

• 20230605_172815.jpg
    20230605_172815.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • 20230605_172821.jpg
    20230605_172821.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
no ugly phase yet ?
It will come mate don’t worry.

Just keep doing as you are, waterchange and regular maintenance.

If you can’t find a conch, nassarius snails (Phrontis vibex) are sand dwelling snails that burrow and come out to scavenge.

They like albino assassin snails (but don’t eat other snails. As far as I’m aware)

What will be best way to clean the rocks etc toothbrush ? Currently only using a turkey baster to blow the detritus off ? Also not cleaning the back was as hoping eventually will get covered in coraline algae.

Also not doing much testing at the moment as last time I checked my levels where all very low regarding ammonia nitrite and nitrate. May just check these weekly along with salinity. Does that sounds OK.

And yeah can't seem to find a shop that has conch left 🤣 hopefully thereefexperience gets them back in soon.

Thanks Tim yeah taking it slow and trying to take the advice and help in. Thanks mate

Water change day, also the ugly stage has arrived 😅 I tried scrubbing the Rick's but it moves them so left of for now, should it pass on its own ?

I will test ammonia nitrate and nitrite and salinity today.

Moved sand, cleaned glass changed floss and water change then top up RO,does that sound OK?

Anyone know how to stop the glass cleaner from skipping along rather than being smooth ?

Also I have been working last 4 days and struggling to i tell if my snails are dead and don't seem to move much any way to tell, they where both on Back on sand earlier.

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230612_113111.jpg
    20230612_113111.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230612_113206.jpg
    20230612_113206.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230612_114852.jpg
    20230612_114852.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Water change day, also the ugly stage has arrived 😅 I tried scrubbing the Rick's but it moves them so left of for now, should it pass on its own ?

I will test ammonia nitrate and nitrite and salinity today.

Moved sand, cleaned glass changed floss and water change then top up RO,does that sound OK?

Anyone know how to stop the glass cleaner from skipping along rather than being smooth ?

Also I have been working last 4 days and struggling to i tell if my snails are dead and don't seem to move much any way to tell, they where both on Back on sand earlier.

Thanks dean
Your at the same ugly stage as me, but mine has hit quite bad, I just give a quick scrub before a water change and will be leaving it to hopefully burn itself out.

For the snails, pick them up and have a sniff :)

You’re doing everything right mate. Just taking you’re time with it and allowing it to go through the process.

The snails may well of starved if they have died and could be the cause for the ugly phase as they pollute a tank fairly quickly.

Now that you do have some diatom build up, reintroduce some snails (if yours are dead).

As Nick said, a good sniff test (if you e the stomach for it) or a little poke at their base should give you a good idea.

They don't smell, prodded the soft bit and feels hard but seems to move I'm more so think still alive just not moving unless dieing, yeah will keep scrubbing on water change day.

Any idea about the glass cleaner and how to make smooth rather than skipping along glass inside.

Thanks dean

Quick update went for some water yesterday and couldnt resit buying some cheap corals 🙄, purchased two £15 zoas, didn't realise zoas have sort of necks if you know what I mean. One is a brown with orange outer edge and the larger one has a load of heads with orange yellow and green ish middles, also that one has long strands on outer of the heads. Any I'd be great as my description is terrible. I also need a filter for phone as so hard to photograph.

Still a couple weeks to buy some new snails and conch and pistol shrimp and goby as none I'm stock. My snails don't smell but must have died as don't move.

My lights are set
UV 45
V 45
Ry 50
B 50
G 5
DR 5
ML 10
CW 20

I may start using the night cycle anyone else you that ? Any tinkering for best colours in my corals ?

Sorry about bad pics so hard to photo

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230620_154516.jpg
    20230620_154516.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230619_145812.jpg
    20230619_145812.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230619_145817.jpg
    20230619_145817.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Quick update went for some water yesterday and couldnt resit buying some cheap corals 🙄, purchased two £15 zoas, didn't realise zoas have sort of necks if you know what I mean. One is a brown with orange outer edge and the larger one has a load of heads with orange yellow and green ish middles, also that one has long strands on outer of the heads. Any I'd be great as my description is terrible. I also need a filter for phone as so hard to photograph.

Still a couple weeks to buy some new snails and conch and pistol shrimp and goby as none I'm stock. My snails don't smell but must have died as don't move.

My lights are set
UV 45
V 45
Ry 50
B 50
G 5
DR 5
ML 10
CW 20

I may start using the night cycle anyone else you that ? Any tinkering for best colours in my corals ?

Sorry about bad pics so hard to photo

Thanks dean
Nice Zoa's Dean, my advice on names is not to bother worrying, it'll just cost you money 😂

The "neck" is called the stalk if you are talking about the long bit under the crown of tentacles. ( the long strands on the head :) )

I'm using the same light and don't bother with the night cycle, I just have a longer ramp down in the evening to low blues only for an hour

Nice Zoa's Dean, my advice on names is not to bother worrying, it'll just cost you money 😂

The "neck" is called the stalk if you are talking about the long bit under the crown of tentacles. ( the long strands on the head :) )

I'm using the same light and don't bother with the night cycle, I just have a longer ramp down in the evening to low blues only for an hour
Don't worry 🤣🤣 I will take that advice along as I know they are zoas . Would you advise any thing else like testing etc as I now have corals or just keep up water changes etc ? Nothing to do specifically with the corals ? I plan on leaving on sand bed for few days before moving.

Then do I cut off the plug bottom ? And just super glue on and hopefully spread like plants would normally. Also do you think my levels of light seem OK?

Also before adding I made a dip solution and left for 10 mins then rinsed in saltwater then straight into tank is that OK.

Thanks mate

Attachments

• 20230620_172014.jpg
    20230620_172014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230620_172019.jpg
    20230620_172019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Don't worry 🤣🤣 I will take that advice along as I know they are zoas .
Yep, they are Zoa's :)
Would you advise any thing else like testing etc as I now have corals or just keep up water changes etc ? Nothing to do specifically with the corals ? I plan on leaving on sand bed for few days before moving.
I wouldn't worry about testing, zoa's are hardy little things and regular water changes will be fine

Then do I cut off the plug bottom ? And just super glue on and hopefully spread like plants would normally.
Don't remove the zoa's from the frag plug, just glue/jam the plug directly to the rock, they will soon spread onto the rock etc

Also do you think my levels of light seem OK?
Light levels look ok to me, any changes you make to the lighting do slowly and gradually now you have corals in there.
Also before adding I made a dip solution and left for 10 mins then rinsed in saltwater then straight into tank is that OK.

sounds good.

Zoas tend to get a little leggy like plants do when they’re not getting enough light.
This is always a good indication that they want to be a little higher up.

Any new corals I always use a small frag rack to acclimate them. I just slowly raise the rack over the period of a week. It’s not completely essential though.

Obviously I’m sure you’ve heard that zoas contain palytoxins which are one of the most lethal substances to be exposed too.
They’re completely safe and will never cause you any harm. It’s just something to bare in mind if you was to ever remove a rock encrusted with zoas and then start scrubbing it as has happens in the past with people purchasing and cleaning rocks.

You’ll be fine to frag them and dip them in due course. Just take precautions.

I reckon the rock on the sanbed would make for a nice little zoa garden, start there. Add one or two more. Once they start to spread. You’re ready to try a new coral.

Zoas tend to get a little leggy like plants do when they’re not getting enough light.
This is always a good indication that they want to be a little higher up.
They may need more light, but I would be inclined to leave them be and not alter the light for the time being until they have settled.
They’re completely safe and will never cause you any harm. It’s just something to bare in mind if you was to ever remove a rock encrusted with zoas and then start scrubbing it as has happens in the past with people purchasing and cleaning rocks.
I don't advise licking them either :p:p☠️, nasty stuff but fascinating at the same time.

Back