• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Waterbox Cube 10 complete beginner

Very interesting guys , I recall a horror story years ago on news something like that, so would it never be a issue to me ? I will be carefully and never scrub rocks when break down tank etc I will just buy new šŸ™„šŸ¤£. And yeah that's the plan with that single rock or bottom of larger one, I will keep these for week or 2 and maybe get some more šŸ™„.

Be great if a few members on here start with marine and we can send corals etc šŸ˜šŸ˜Š, how way gents šŸ˜….

Also I have no idea how to frag etc so will seek advice before anything like that. Thanks again

Obviously Iā€™m sure youā€™ve heard that zoas contain palytoxins which are one of the most lethal substances to be exposed too.
Theyā€™re completely safe and will never cause you any harm. Itā€™s just something to bare in mind if you was to ever remove a rock encrusted with zoas and then start scrubbing it as has happens in the past with people purchasing and cleaning rocks.

Youā€™ll be fine to frag them and dip them in due course. Just take precautions.
I can attest to that. I always wore long fish bags on my arms when grabbing them from the coral table. Always made my skin all tingly whenever i had to put my arms in the stock tanks, and forgot to wear the bags.

so would it never be a issue to me ? I will be carefully and never scrub rocks when break down tank etc I will just buy new šŸ™„šŸ¤£.

The toxin they produce is not something to be messed with, but in all honesty it's not something I even think about, unless you eat them your petty safe.

God knows how much saltwater I have drank from tanks full of them, I frag them bare handed etc and it's never been an issue, and 99% in the hobby do the same.

Again with the rock, also long as your careful there is no issue giving your rocks a scrub if your rescaping, or removing some algae etc.

Just remember that zoanthids are one of the most traded and kept corals, they are cut up daily with electric saws and by amateurs and they aren't dropping like flies lol.

never be a issue to me ?
No mate. As Nick rightly says, theyā€™re fragged on a daily basis, Iā€™ve fragged thousands of Zoas as I used to sell them. At one point I probably kept about Ā£7000 worth in a frag tank.
The story on the news I believe was a woman who poisoned herself and her family by boiling and scrubbing a rock covered in zoas.

Interestingly the toxins were discovered by a scientist who came across a tribe that had been coating arrows or something in the toxins (sure Iā€™ve read that somewhere and not just made it up hahah)

But to reiterate, yes youā€™re completely safe, it was just worth mentioning if you never knew.

Zoa can and probably will be come very addictive. There are so many varieties with incredible colour. Just donā€™t bother with all the over hyped expensive ones that can be difficult to keep alive.

Thanks guys,phew šŸ˜… bit totally agree something defently worth knowing and being aware of so thanks mate, to he fair them 2 I got where 15 pounds each but already feeling I rushed it as not much colour šŸ™„ I am thinking I want the more colourful ones so will keep the plug on sand for now and make sure I can keep them alive, and I did exactly the same no gloves etc šŸ˜….

Also yes that was the story I think .

Do you @Nick potts or @seedoubleyou currently sell or have many frags etc.

Thanks

Hey @Deano3

Regarding palytoxin, would suggest you apply a healthy dose of caution for yourself and those around you. Hereā€™s some links you may find useful.

Short article containing practical advice for handling species containing palytoxin:

Tidal Gardens overview of the Zoanthus genus:

As above nothing. I donā€™t keep a reef tank anymore or any aquarium in fact. If this was a year ago youā€™d of been able to fill your boots as I gave hundreds away.

As above nothing. I donā€™t keep a reef tank anymore or any aquarium in fact. If this was a year ago youā€™d of been able to fill your boots as I gave hundreds away.
You thinking of a nano maybe in future mate ?

Thanks @Geoffrey Rea will have a read of that.

Went to the reef experience again today and couldn't resist šŸ˜…, ended up buying some zoas someone brought in as shutting tank down, they are stunning colours as I regretted jumping in with first 2 sets i got, got the rock and zoas for a great price of Ā£35 then got another cheap set of orange zoas then 1 hammer Corral.

Try them see how they go hopefully ok, Also got 2 astrea snails a conch and goby pistol shrimp.

Firstly I need to buy some gel superglue to glue the corals to the rocks, I will go to toostation later on.
Secondly I need advice, I need a set of pliers to cut the plug as one of them is round then had a long round bit what I imagine is for the racks is there any decent sets of tools for marine ?

Can I cut the plug smaller around the edge ? Then just glue gel on bottom and place into the tank into place ?

My pistol shrimp is digging behind my main rock is the most ugly place as only flat rock šŸ¤£ the goby is exactly where I wanted them under the front right rock is there anyway to assist him moving.

Thanks again everyone
Dean

Attachments

• 20230627_154627.jpg
    20230627_154627.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230627_133012.jpg
    20230627_133012.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230627_142919.jpg
    20230627_142919.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230627_143032.jpg
    20230627_143032.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230627_142928.jpg
    20230627_142928.jpg
    979.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230627_143043.jpg
    20230627_143043.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230627_154529.jpg
    20230627_154529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230627_143714.jpg
    20230627_143714.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 73
Nope. No more reef tanks for me. Maybe in a few years Iā€™ll set up a large system. But for now, itā€™s just dart frogs.
Pliers will cut a frag plug. But bone cutters are best.
The shrimp and goby will figure it out. But ultimately the shrimp will burrow wherever he wants.

Be mindful that hammer corals have long sweeping tentacles that come out at night to feed. These have a fairly aggressive sting so it must be given good space from other corals that donā€™t fall within the same species.

The zoas look like Rastas and Gorilla Nipples, but I may be wrong.

I also find that once a coral is placed. Itā€™s best to leave it be and keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible.

I will keep ha ds put don't worry mate, just havnt glued them so need to, I will look fir some decent tools to cut the frags, and the zoas are great they are so bright. your tanks would have been great hope you set one up in future.

I would have preferred a torch but Ā£65 so thought would try a hammer Corral first and hopefully ok, it's on the larger rock all alone so should be OK there.

Still havnt cleaned the back Wass as hoping to get some coraline on there you think be OK to just leave ? Will do waterchange tomorrow and get rest all cleaned up.

Dean

I will keep ha ds put don't worry mate, just havnt glued them so need to, I will look fir some decent tools to cut the frags, and the zoas are great they are so bright. your tanks would have been great hope you set one up in future.

I would have preferred a torch but Ā£65 so thought would try a hammer Corral first and hopefully ok, it's on the larger rock all alone so should be OK there.

Still havnt cleaned the back Wass as hoping to get some coraline on there you think be OK to just leave ? Will do waterchange tomorrow and get rest all cleaned up.

Dean
I personally used to clean my back and every other surface that wasnā€™t rock, for one of two benefits.
It firstly kept the snails of the glass and on the rocks.
When it came to selling the equipment it wasnā€™t covered in coralline and was therefore more desirable.

Gel superglue or epoxy will be fine for the securing of frags, and you mate the right choice on your first LPS coral with the hammer, Duncanā€™s are usually another good starter coral as are candy cane / trumpet coral.

Thanks @seedoubleyou for the link and advice, I will look at duncans and will clean the back Wall as I agree with what you said.

Think I am going to return the goby and pistol shrimp pair tomorro as think the goby looks too large for this setup, as in fresh water I am more interested in the plants I feel the same in the salty side its the corals that draw me so think I will stick with the clowns and clean up crew.

The conch is great hope doesn't get larger šŸ¤£, I have 1 conch and 2 astrea snails and 2 clowns once return the goby and pistol shrimp, anything else you recommend small clean up ? I would love a crab but they wreck your corals I have heard so will stick with them.

Thanks dean

Crabs can be good for specific jobs, but I wouldnā€™t recommend them yet.

Hermits would be a good choice.

You could always add a shrimp if you wanted, Iā€™m not a fan but theyā€™re great to watch.
You could get a cleaner shrimp or sexy shrimp which are the salty equivalent of cherry shrimp.

Donā€™t touch starfish as your tank isnā€™t mature enough.
Same applies for urchins.

You donā€™t necessarily have to keep a goby with the pistol shrimp, you could keep the shrimp alone.

Ultimately, go check out the shops local to you and see what they have and what interests you.

Crabs can be good for specific jobs, but I wouldnā€™t recommend them yet.

Hermits would be a good choice.

You could always add a shrimp if you wanted, Iā€™m not a fan but theyā€™re great to watch.
You could get a cleaner shrimp or sexy shrimp which are the salty equivalent of cherry shrimp.

Donā€™t touch starfish as your tank isnā€™t mature enough.
Same applies for urchins.

You donā€™t necessarily have to keep a goby with the pistol shrimp, you could keep the shrimp alone.

Ultimately, go check out the shops local to you and see what they have and what interests you.
Thanks mate yeah I may keep the shrimp can't decide just goby looks to big, any other snails you recommend? Also corals maybe pulsing xenia , not getting gsp as no rocks left and don't want on main rock, will look at the duncans , what ever live stock I get I want to stay relatively small as only a small tank.

Thanks

Pulsing Xenia is a fascinating coral that can take over a tank like a weed.
Most would deter you from buying it, but I believe itā€™s a reef tank staple so go for it.
Just try and keep it isolated if you can or youā€™ll be constantly fragging it.

Snails wise. There are lots, Iā€™ve only kept Trochus (they breed like mad and flood your tank withā€¦ā€¦ā€¦), nassarius snails are sand bed dwelling scavengers
Astrea you have.

Just return the pistol shrimp and goby pair then mate if itā€™s not for you. Thereā€™s no harm in that. Thereā€™s no rush on picking a replacement and itā€™s always nice to be in the position of having space for something that really takes your interest.

Well another maintenance day and update, returned the goby and shrimp pair so sticking with clowns and snails and conch , very ugly phase at the moment the rock looks very dirty eith algae etc and the glass was very dirty after a week but plodding on. Corrals still need the base cut to smaller around the coral then going to glue onto Rick, hopefully my coral cutter and glue come this week, what you think about placement you think looks OK?

The corals them selves seem to get getting in well with no issues. Looking forward to removing them and cutting the frag plugs quite a bit. The torch seems to be longer on one side and shorter on the other no idea why.

I will attach a few pictures. The first picture I added some brine shrimp, think maybe too much šŸ˜… still worried as want the shrimp to get some.

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230706_203846.jpg
    20230706_203846.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • 20230706_110458.jpg
    20230706_110458.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230706_110451.jpg
    20230706_110451.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230705_170806.jpg
    20230705_170806.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230630_145906.jpg
    20230630_145906.jpg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230630_145858.jpg
    20230630_145858.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 64
Just give it time and give the corals a chance to adjust. See how they go over the next few weeks.

Just be mindful that you might be feeding a little too heavily there mate given the minimal stocking you have.

You could also look at boosting the CUC.
another snail or perhaps a shrimp.
Try and source some brittle stars add copepods etcā€¦.. all these little critters that add to the balance of a tank.

Itā€™s all heading in the right way and all just part of the process. Keep plodding on mate.

Back