• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Waterbox Cube 10 complete beginner

Just give it time and give the corals a chance to adjust. See how they go over the next few weeks.

Just be mindful that you might be feeding a little too heavily there mate given the minimal stocking you have.

You could also look at boosting the CUC.
another snail or perhaps a shrimp.
Try and source some brittle stars add copepods etc….. all these little critters that add to the balance of a tank.

It’s all heading in the right way and all just part of the process. Keep plodding on mate.
Sorry for late reply been busy today, yeah I am not adding any other corals just leaving them for now, I will have to glue them as keep getting knocked over from the conch 🤣. I know I fed to heavy there, I defrosted a cube and wanted to use it over 2 days so half a cube there but its way way to much, I will change the media floss that was my mistake.

Will look at brittle stars and any other snails you recommend that stay quite small ? Have added copepods but will get more next time at shop.

Adjusted lights a while back so more blue so looks much better.

Thanks dean

I know I fed to heavy there, I defrosted a cube and wanted to use it over 2 days so half a cube there but its way way to much

You could try a dosing bottle Dean:

1688761048499.jpeg

Bit of RO water and a cube in, leave in the fridge and feed a little when you need to. You just squeeze the bottle and the food comes out of the outlet.

It’s hard when you start as you don’t need a whole cube of frozen, this should help make a cube go three days in the fridge before you have to throw away any excess.

You could try a dosing bottle Dean:

View attachment 207868

Bit of RO water and a cube in, leave in the fridge and feed a little when you need to. You just squeeze the bottle and the food comes out of the outlet.

It’s hard when you start as you don’t need a whole cube of frozen, this should help make a cube go three days in the fridge before you have to throw away any excess.
I purchased a small one of them, will start adding half a cube and ro then making last 2-3 days as only 2 clowns. Thanks mate

Tank going well, I did some maintenance today as glass was dirty so did slightly larger water change.

Sometimes my zoas seem long but not adjusted the light, also still ugly phase at the moment, sure another snail has died but other one doing great along with the conch. Anything I can place on bottom of tank for him to have a feast ?

Sure the torch has grown however was on sand today so since stuck back on not as long now but all corals looking good.

Will attach some pictures.

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230714_165814.jpg
    20230714_165814.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 20230714_165924.jpg
    20230714_165924.jpg
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230714_165904.jpg
    20230714_165904.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230714_165857.jpg
    20230714_165857.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230714_110240.jpg
    20230714_110240.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 78
  • 20230714_103930.jpg
    20230714_103930.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Keep going as you are mate. Your ugly phase isn’t all that ugly tbf.

I’m not sure why your snails are dying? And if I’m honest I wouldn’t even know how to supplement them as I’ve never had a need too. Normally there’s enough biofilm and algae etc…. To sustain a few snails.

You could always keep the back glass dirty to allow them a larger food source.

Your corals are still adjusting and will needs a few weeks before you can think about moving them to find a happier spot.

Remember, small adjustments over a long period are key in reef tanks.

(i.e. make a small change and leave it be for several weeks to see how it affects things)

Thanks mate 🤣, will keep plodding on 👍, not doing any testing at all to be honest just salinity.

Thanks dean

Update time,Tank going well think I want some more corals as goes very slowly 😅 the xoas on rock seem to be spreading bit they aren't the best looking zoas so think I should add some more colours to this rock. The zoas on own Rock the tooty fruity ones seem to be long and ones on side open bit ones below light are staying shut for some reason. Thinking maybe more zoas from online so any ebay or website recommendations ?

And some other easy corals any recomendations? Acan's or something for the larger rock. Maybe another hammer ?

Currently have the 1 snail and conch as clean up.

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230723_181806.jpg
    20230723_181806.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230722_171205.jpg
    20230722_171205.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 74
Been extremely busy last few weeks so still no new corals unfortunately, quick pic to at feeding time and seems to be some bubble looking algae any idea and what causes it ?

Going to be doing water change tomorrow after going for some more water as out now.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230814_211205.jpg
    20230814_211205.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230814_211132.jpg
    20230814_211132.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 20230814_211225.jpg
    20230814_211225.jpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 73
You definitely have bubble algae mate, it could have come in on a frag plug and got a foot hold due to the common instability of new tanks.
Emerald crabs eat bubble algae.

I’ve never dealt with the stuff, so I’d do some googling. Manual removal, water changes, copepods and phytoplankton (to feed the copepods) would be where I’d start with any form of algae.

Reef tanks are similar to planted tanks in a sense, more coral will help create stability like plants do for an aqua scape.
So as time goes on and the tank becomes stocked you’ll find it easier keeping that balance.

You definitely have bubble algae mate, it could have come in on a frag plug and got a foot hold due to the common instability of new tanks.
Emerald crabs eat bubble algae.

I’ve never dealt with the stuff, so I’d do some googling. Manual removal, water changes, copepods and phytoplankton (to feed the copepods) would be where I’d start with any form of algae.

Reef tanks are similar to planted tanks in a sense, more coral will help create stability like plants do for an aqua scape.
So as time goes on and the tank becomes stocked you’ll find it easier keeping that balance.
Brilliant thanks mate, I will get some more copepods today and look at the corals see if anything good in. Also I will try manually removing.

Thanks , will let you know how I get on.
Dean

Added copepods and fed them some seachem phytoplankton, also ended up buying some red zoas and 5 or 6 snails/hermits just a mix ,I now want some blue hermit crabs to add some character to the tank and some more movement.

Going to be ordering some more corals online soon.

Anyone know best filter to get for phone for good pictures ? Also seem to be getting aphasia on the rocks and coral plugs any recomendations?

Also ordered some vibrant to add to the tank as has good reviews

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230815_203224.jpg
    20230815_203224.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
  • 20230815_203216.jpg
    20230815_203216.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230815_150300.jpg
    20230815_150300.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
BRStv have a few videos on vibrant that are worth the watch.
Aptasia is a pain, there are treatments out there that some say work and others say causes them to spread further.
There are animals you can purchase that will eat them, this isn’t fool proof though as they soon learn that the aptasia isn’t worth the trouble when there’s frozen food being added to the tank each day.

Might get some aptasia X and I have some zoas I think they are gorilla nipples 😅 I may remove as ordered some larger ones and they have a few aptasia on them so what us best way to remove ? Just pry off rock and hopefully all come on the plug then place in bin bag ?

also dosed 1ml of vibrant today to help even though tank looks good cant hurt.

I also found this pest on my glass so removed any ideas what it could be ?

Also thinking of moving the AI nero 3 to below the outlet so flow going in same direction and I need a quieter pump so will have to find out what sicce fits the reef chamber and same pipe.

Also is there anything to feed the clean up crew ? In fresh I used to add algae wafers but I need to feed the hermits and snails now.

Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20230817_173904.jpg
    20230817_173904.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 20230817_174416.jpg
    20230817_174416.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230817_174152.jpg
    20230817_174152.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230817_174210.jpg
    20230817_174210.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
i have no clue what that critter is @Geoffrey Rea @Nick potts ?

It almost looks like a starfish that’s been badly damaged.

Don’t waste the zoas mate. You can always superglue over where the aptasia is and it should eventually die if it can’t come out.

But I understand that it might be easier to just remove it and it’s done. If so I don’t really want to advise on disposal due to them housing potent toxins.

Supplemental feeding, in theory your CUC should be eating waste food, detritus and algae. You might get some sort of pellet for them at your LFS.

i have no clue what that critter is @Geoffrey Rea @Nick potts ?

It almost looks like a starfish that’s been badly damaged.

Don’t waste the zoas mate. You can always superglue over where the aptasia is and it should eventually die if it can’t come out.

But I understand that it might be easier to just remove it and it’s done. If so I don’t really want to advise on disposal due to them housing potent toxins.

Supplemental feeding, in theory your CUC should be eating waste food, detritus and algae. You might get some sort of pellet for them at your LFS.
Thanks mate, think I will buy some aptasia X as have a few now seem to have came from nowhere. I may leave the zoas and kill the aptasia as you say.

Also on the first pic if you zoom in I thought looked like a starfish aswel but no idea.

You think moving the nero 3 will be OK? To below the inlet lower in the tank.

Anyone any idea what sicce pump fits rear chamber ?

Really looking forward to getting more hermits that are bright blue etc. Tank all in all going great and ordered a few more Corals so will keep you updated.

You think moving the nero 3 will be OK? To below the inlet lower in the tank
Should be fine mate. Small tanks like ours it shouldn’t really matter as creating flow should be relatively easy.

As for pumps I’m not sure what would fit your system, I’m only familiar with the Red Sea AIO tanks.

I also found this pest on my glass so removed any ideas what it could be ?

As others have said, probably a starfish that’s had a really bad week. If in doubt, chuck it out mate.

also dosed 1ml of vibrant today to help even though tank looks good cant hurt.

Despite the bad press, vibrant does kill bubble algae. It’s basically API algefix as was found out after the product was investigated by the EPA in the states. It is a molluscide so be careful with inverts in the tank.

@seedoubleyou may know better, but believe BRS investigated using hydrogen peroxide on zoas to clear plugs and found them extremely tolerant to H202 dipping. May be a good coral dip option if you see bubble algae on future frags @Deano3 .

Back