• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are these crawling things?

Michael1212

I looked in my sump earlier to see thousands of these horrors crawling over the floating plants. Does anyone know what they are, or how I can safely move them on?
20210531_213925.jpg

Does anyone know what they are
They look like aphids to me. Try washing the plants under running water to reduce loading. Will have to repeat as needed. Every female is born fertilized and pregnant and so are her offspring. (There are males & females but the complete life cycle is complex).

Best of luck.

Thanks oldguy, much appreciated. I read that they do lot like vinegar. Would periodic spraying of a vinegar solution eventually eradicate them?

Hi all,
Would periodic spraying of a vinegar solution eventually eradicate them?
Have you got fish in the tank? If you have just wash the Aphids (with sprayed water) into the tank and <"fish will polish them off">. Often you can just turn the plant upside down and the fish will pick them off the submerged leaves, but I understand that might be difficult with Eichornia crassipes, due to its buoyancy.

cheers Darrel

No fish yet unfortunately. If water boarding them doesn't work I'll add a few fish into the sump.

After rinsing the water hyacinths in the filter socks for a few days I think I've gotten all the critters. As a reward for my efforts my plants gave me a flower today 🙃

20210606_194833.jpg

Back