• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do I need for my first Shrimp Tank

That's for the pointer nduli. Was too late.

To set the scene even more. Below is the piece of furniture I was proposing to put the tank on.

The room is part of a kitchen diner, with a patio door to the right. It is NW facing and so does not get direct sunlight.

The piece of furniture is a storage thing with slide out plastic buckets which hold the kids toys.

Clearly I would clear the stuff that is on the top.

The dimensions as you can see are limiting in tank volume. But this is really going to be the only place to put this in. Looks like a 20-30l tank then.
6yqybyqe.jpg

Thoughts?
R

Thanks Big Clown. I have been watching that one. His prices keep fluctuating, and I think the tank is a tad too small, but great offer.

Quick question. Can I quick start the tank cycling process by taking a bit of my existing filter sponge from my normal fish tank (non RO) and add to the new tank which would be RO?

Made the call and got a second hand Do!Aqua tank with fluvel light, dennerle nana filter an Fluval heater (which incidentally seems to have no way of controlling the temp), co2 reg and tubing (no solenoid) all for £49.
zyravu8a.jpg

It appears to fit nicely on the cabinet.

Now I need to decide on substrate. Seems a toss up between the ADA or the EBI gold.
Work out if I need to change the heater for one with controls.

I will have to leave this until I come back from hols.

But still confused about CO2. I though plant required CO2 with the light. If I cannot inject or use LC how are they going to survive and also how am I fighting algae?

Nice haul you got there :)

I have used the EBI Gold substrate for when I attempted CRS. Quite a ncie substrate I am ripping it out and replacing it with Dennerle Sulawesi black gravel I have coming from Amazon.de (9 Euro Postage)

I also ordered some of the filters pads for you corner filter 12 Euro for three. It seems quite expensive but I am doing a rebuild and want to keep things as simple as possible :)

All the best with your tank Roly - Hope you enjoy the hols!

Murray

Nice little setup

Reduce co2 demand. Liquid carbon only starts been a problem when you start dosing 2/3x dose on bottle
Use low light plants in the tank and reduce light intensity with floating plants
Algae is caused by too much light and not enough co2. As you dont want to add carbon you need to reduce light.

Thanks Murray.
Its all a whirl to try and ensure I don't kill the CRS's on the first go.

Just figured out the Fluvel nano heater is not adjustable so will need to find out what temp that hits.

Was hoping to start off with perhaps 5 CRS grade S or maybe grade SS as a beginner, is that fair?

Thanks for the support guys. It seems a bit more of a challenge than the fish and don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks
Roly

I have used that heater and it kept my 20ltr at about 23 to 24 so should do pretty good in a shrimp tank

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Nice haul you got there :)

I have used the EBI Gold substrate for when I attempted CRS. Quite a ncie substrate I am ripping it out and replacing it with Dennerle Sulawesi black gravel I have coming from Amazon.de (9 Euro Postage)

I also ordered some of the filters pads for you corner filter 12 Euro for three. It seems quite expensive but I am doing a rebuild and want to keep things as simple as possible :)

All the best with your tank Roly - Hope you enjoy the hols!

Murray

Murray
It is literally as easy as just creating an account in Amazon.de and ordering. I have a Amazon Prime account on the UK site I am guessing that wont carry across for free delivery.
Cheers
Roly

Roly,

You can use all the details from your Amazon.co.uk account - No need to create a new one.

Not sure about the prime shipping working as I don't have prime - if it did work i would get prime lol

Its exactly like using Amazon UK - You can try and use this live translator:

http://www.amazon.de - Translator

It may not work all the way through the process but if you have ordered many items from Amazon you will know the jist of it.

Here is the link to the filter pads = http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003CQLEDQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d1_i4?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=144F95Z90338W7RYNQC4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375153&pf_rd_i=301128

There CrustaGran shrimp food is good - Just put in Dennerle in the search box and you can browse the results.

I will monitor this thread if you need any help just give me a shout!

Have fun!

Murray

If you use lower lighting you should not get algae. I do have a bit of bba but it is on the bit of wood that reaches the top of the tank. You might want to start with a few lower grades while you iron out any problems as it is costly if they die. I hope the tank is high enough for you to sit comfortably beside on a chair as you will find yourself spending any available time looking at your shrimp!

Cheers Murray
I will have a go at Amazon.de when I get back from hols.

Lindy - Lol. Well I had to deal with my other half who came back with the kids who took 30 secs to see the tank and then blabbed to mummy and then I got the "Why, We have no room, why did you not tell me". The change is that it has been positioned higher on the top level of the unit, so higher and with the side effect of being able to see it closer. Yes the lower grades I agree should be a starting point, but the colouring the higher grades is attractive. But I will start cheap and learn.

I plan to get either the ADA or EBI Gold when I get back from hol's. Some Java fern on a wood (why does other wood from the shops take soooooooo long to sink). And some other easy plants that don't need high wattage/litre and are good starter plants to get the tank cycling. Still concerned on the CO2. It took me 9 months of living pain without a solenoid connected reg on a small bottle, before buying a FE setup with Solenoid. Feel I need not necessarily a FE setup but another solenoid based reg would be handy, as I see mixed opinions on LC.

Been reading the Breeders and Keepers mag which is handy because each of the interviews with the breeders shows what substrates and conductivity is in each of their tanks for their specific grade and breed of shrimp.
Roly

I have a lot of plants in my tank, 54l'the nook' but because I don't have any fish in the tank the shrimp don't hide at all. I did have lampeyes in with my shrimp for a while and they didn't seem too bother the larger adults but were taken out as I had berried females and the fish would have eaten the shrimplets. Smaller shrimp are naturally cautious but do get braver as they get bigger. Adys Aquanano with crs is a good example of a well planted shrimp tank and you can see his shrimp.

Trying to find photos of peoples Nano shrimp tanks for inspiration most of them are close ups of the shrimp themselves. But I wanted to see some which are not overly planted so that shrimp and on show rather than hide constantly.

The shrimp should not hide Roly. They swim around like fish do. Just with more plants you have to look better or zoom the picture so the shrimp are visible. The more shrimp, the more you'll see them. If you've got only a few, then they won't pose for a picture altogether obviously :)My shrimp tank also has 9 corys in it that I mean to move out but can't catch them without smashing half the shrimp by accident. The shrimp have overpopulated like snails so I just can't miss them :)

onl3.jpg

And that's from the same tank on the surface where I've thrown tons of plant cuttings. It's full of shrimp too but it's way harder to see them.
3boe.jpg

Back