• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do you feed your bettas?

Zoe

Mine seems to hate anything in pellet form, he grabs it then spits it back out, tried two different foods now. What can i feed him instead?

I feed mine Betta Bio Gold, tiny little floting pallets, I feed about 15 once a day, one at a time. He loves them and also tetras love them too and it's great to watch them dart across and try to steal it almost from his mouth :)

20180913_083312.jpg

One of my bettas is lazy and won't eat pellets too. I'm giving him Naturefood Kristall size XS and he loves it. This is half of his diet though. The other half is frozen mosquito larvae, bloodworms, daphnia, tubifex, brine shrimp. The other betta eats those frozen food and krill, OSI Red Power granules size S and Tropical Soft Line Betta. I have to say this Soft Line is quite nice, other foods from Tropical are not worth anything.

ELOS sv2 and live Daphnia. My wife is breeding Bettas, and she say the food from ELOS hands down is nutritionally the best dried food she have ever seen for them. I haven't looked into the needs of Bettas myself, so I only parrot what she is using and as long as she keeps her Bettas out of my aquariums I'm happy.

ELOS sv2 and live Daphnia. My wife is breeding Bettas, and she say the food from ELOS hands down is nutritionally the best dried food she have ever seen for them. I haven't looked into the needs of Bettas myself, so I only parrot what she is using and as long as she keeps her Bettas out of my aquariums I'm happy.
Never heard of it and I can't really find opinions about it, but the description sounds nice. Maybe I'll try it, if I'll find a store that ships to Poland.

Never heard of it and I can't really find opinions about it, but the description sounds nice. Maybe I'll try it, if I'll find a store that ships to Poland.
ELOS will ship it, just go to their webpage. I know there is a shop in the UK/London that should have it as well. You could try and get your local fish store to stock it as well, the minimum order size is not overwhelming.

ELOS will ship it, just go to their webpage. I know there is a shop in the UK/London that should have it as well. You could try and get your local fish store to stock it as well, the minimum order size is not overwhelming.
Wow, they really do ship it everywhere. Well, I guess time to try it.

Edit: I like the fact, that it's phosphate free. Maybe I'll use it for my ropes too, if they'll like it. In my ropefish tank phosphates are always off the charts.

Hi it's the wife here.
The reason I like ELOS food is because it's high protein, reasonable fat content and has only 1% fibre. ELOS claim the food is dust free and has no free oil and these claims seem to hold up as I'm seeing less bio film in tanks where I feed 100% ELOS food another is no visible dust on the food.
My fish are digesting it very well with minimal poo and no signs of slow digestion or bloat and I've stopped giving them a fast day. In typical betta fashion they were picky and I had to transition them by mixing ELOS food with their old food and spent a week phasing the old food out. I think my fish are showing more intense colours and increased fin growth on the ones fed 100% ELOS but that's hard to judge accurately but their bodies are looking very good with tone and they are very active. I'm so impressed I'm looking into getting the 0 size and 1 sizes for raising fry on.

IMG_0297.jpg

Hi it's the wife here.
The reason I like ELOS food is because it's high protein, reasonable fat content and has only 1% fibre. ELOS claim the food is dust free and has no free oil and these claims seem to hold up as I'm seeing less bio film in tanks where I feed 100% ELOS food another is no visible dust on the food.
My fish are digesting it very well with minimal poo and no signs of slow digestion or bloat and I've stopped giving them a fast day. In typical betta fashion they were picky and I had to transition them by mixing ELOS food with their old food and spent a week phasing the old food out. I think my fish are showing more intense colours and increased fin growth on the ones fed 100% ELOS but that's hard to judge accurately but their bodies are looking very good with tone and they are very active. I'm so impressed I'm looking into getting the 0 size and 1 sizes for raising fry on.

Could you post a photo with the granules size on your hand or something to compare? One of my bettas is notorious slob and won't eat anything too big. So I don't know, if I should buy the size 1 or 2.

I got the wife to take a picture of the sv2 in her hand, next to a measuring tape. The food closest to her wrist is pre soaked, and the food closest to the measuring tape is the dry food, she say that she feeds them the food dry from the tin, as it doesn't really swell when wet. The food also floats unless you push it down with your finger.

The s-shapes item in the picture is the measuring spoon that comes with the food.

I hope this helps.
IMG_0299.JPG

I got the wife to take a picture of the sv2 in her hand, next to a measuring tape. The food closest to her wrist is pre soaked, and the food closest to the measuring tape is the dry food, she say that she feeds them the food dry from the tin, as it doesn't really swell when wet. The food also floats unless you push it down with your finger.

The s-shapes item in the picture is the measuring spoon that comes with the food.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll get the sv2 version, it looks just right for my bettas!

Thank you for all your suggestions! I’d already bought some fluval bug bites which he seems to like, gave him some daphnia which he loved! I’ll give the ELOS a try next, the size looks ideal!

The only time I kept a betta for a few weeks (I got bored, as always and gave it away to a fellow work buddy), I feed her this:

https://www.oceannutrition.com/speciality-items-detail/betta-food

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutrition-Atisons-15g-Quality-Pellet/dp/B00P6QHMA4

That brand is better than many other brands, but the amount of fiber in it is, according to other sources (read rumours), higher than advertised. My wife have used it, and she was fairly happy with it, but she is not using it anymore.

You can do a lot worse than using this brand.

Back