• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What have I done!

Karen H

Yesterday I ended up buy a new tank. I wasn't going to buy it was a 250l for £50. So now I need to decide how to plant etc. what would people suggest for the substrate . Where is a good place to buy plants it's 25ins deep so will take some tall plants. My it her tank is only a 65l so only small plants. My lfs only has a very limited selection .so advice on everything for the tank from bottom up would be great. Also what size filter. It came with an internal one bit don't think lph will be enough for planted tank.

Maybe you could ask you lfs to order in some specific plants? More often than not they have access to a wider variety but won't order them in if there isn't the demand.

As for the filter, do you know what make/model it is? That may help indicate its turnover :)

The filter has only sticker on top but think I have i.d. All pond solutions 12001f. It say 1200l/h.

250lt for £50 hard to refuse. Juwel rate their jumbo filters at 1000lph and they are in 350lt tank so on the face of it filter is adequate though depends on stocking level. I tried Tesco cat litter but find it too light, am told 1 LITRE BONSAI SOIL - MOLAR CLAY is better. Have always found Watermarque plants very good.

Hey nothing wrong with cat litter..,,.,.,,,..,, if you like the snow globe effect when you change the water.:D no it's not that bad if your pour onto the Wood not the substrate. looking forward to seeing your New set up.

Hey nothing wrong with cat litter..,,.,.,,,..,, if you like the snow globe effect when you change the water.:D no it's not that bad if your pour onto the Wood not the substrate. looking forward to seeing your New set up.

Use air line to refill, takes a while but means that the cat litter stays where you want it to without being disturbed and kicking up dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have cat litter (tesco) and yes it's a bit light but I have no problem. I fill by pouring the water on to a rock but I would do that whatever substrate I had in.
As for the filter, it is recommended you turn over the water about 10 times each hour which means you will need one that is around 2000 lph.
Regarding plants, you will need to give an indication of your lighting and whether you have CO2 so that people on here can help you. Certainly I would suggest you tour /search on this site, it's packed with great information.
Harry.

Back