• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the best dirt for a dirt tank?

stan1973

Hi

I've heard some people using
organic choice miracle grow
John Innes no. 3
Peat

which out of these or any others works the best?

I've got the john innes and that works well for me. Can't comment on the others though since I haven't tried them.

OK, I'm doing experiments in pots using hygrophila polysperma and a couple of tiny stargrass cutting with the 3 soils types capped with gravel.

Organic choice miracle grow
2012_0310soil0002.jpg

john Innes no.3
2012_0310soil0001.jpg

Peat
2012_0310soil0003.jpg

I had spent a far bit of time on the net looking at using John Innes #2 and #3 for the substrate. I have a very low light tank (96 ltrs, 18W 6500K light), so went for #2 as it has less nutrients, covered with 4mm gravel. Tank been running for 3 weeks now, Ammonia has just dropped to 0.25, nitrite still very high (+5ppm).

Yesterday I have discovered this site, and read a lot of posts saying don't use #2, use #3. Now I'm hoping I have made the correct choice. My Bacopa Australis has grown about 3 inches. my java fern and Rotala Rotundifolia have also grown a little. The Crypocoryne Wendtii is look good, so does the Anubias Barteri Nana.

I will update this post in a few weeks.

No2 will be fine, just less nutrients. I doubt there will be a massive difference.

I'm using 3, fantastic for growing plants even beats the ADA stuff IMO. However, looking for something that doesn't raise the hardness of my already cement like water next time.

Back