• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this almost pretty algae?

oliverpool

As the title says What is this algae? It almost glows.

I got a new wood and I was thinking of leaving this algae in place. But as with algae, you worry it suddenly ends up everywhere!

Its the furry green thing on the top right on the first pic.

2wq7fvo.jpg

2wem91d.jpg

On the right side of the wood.

htg0id.jpg

Hi all,
My guess is Cladophora. Gives your wood a nice natural patina.
I'm pretty sure "Mr Teapot" is right and it is a Cladophora sp.

An easy way to tell is by touch, Cladophora has quite tough threads which feel gritty, even though they are really fine. Green beard algae would be similar in colour, but much softer to the touch.

It is definitely a "green algae" (Chlorophyta), rather than a red like BBA. It is only the green algae that are bright "grass" green colour. This is because they have the same photosynthetic pigments as <"all mosses, ferns and higher plants">.

cheers Darrel

I had this in my 800 l. home tank; allmost all wood covered - very nice appearance. It's not that fast-spreading, though.
This tank was direct inspiration for using Cladophora-balls, tied to wood, when designing the set-up for the two big PAH-tanks, some of UKAPS members did about 1 1/2 year ago.

Hi all, I'm pretty sure "Mr Teapot" is right and it is a Cladophora sp.

An easy way to tell is by touch, Cladophora has quite tough threads which feel gritty, even though they are really fine. Green beard algae would be similar in colour, but much softer to the touch.

It is definitely a "green algae" (Chlorophyta), rather than a red like BBA. It is only the green algae that are bright "grass" green colour. This is because they have the same photosynthetic pigments as <"all mosses, ferns and higher plants">.

cheers Darrel

Now I am worried :p I do not recall ever having Clado before. And I see many declaring its the worst kind of algae way worse then BBA. Hmm.... should I just let it be to see if it spreads quickly or stays in place? I am still to complete my rescape and wonder about the potential of it speading quickly.

Hi all,
And I see many declaring its the worst kind of algae, way worse then BBA
I don't think anything eats it, and because it is a green algae conditions that favour its growth also favour the growth of the your plants.
Gives your wood a nice natural patina.
I had this in my 800 l. home tank; allmost all wood covered - very nice appearance. It's not that fast-spreading, though. This tank was direct inspiration for using Cladophora- balls, tied to wood, when designing the set-up for the two big PAH-tanks, some of UKAPS members did about 1 1/2 year ago.
Personally I'm with "Mick.Dk" & "Mr Teapot", I like it, and <"I think it adds to the look of the aquarium".>

Just don't think of it as "algae", but as the wholly beneficial <"Periphyton">.

cheers Darrel

I also had some on wood, it's really quite lovely, didn't spread in my tank over the year or so, unfortunately lost it with rescapes & not being careful to not let it dry out :(

Things are still going well. I will be doing another rescape to remove the rest of the plants that I do not want followed by some cleaning of part of the substrate and a huge water change. Keeping a real sharp lookout for the Cladophora to ensure it does not suddenly spread!

1. Good thing is that my GSA seems to have almost subside.

2. One spot of BGA near the soil seems to be subsiding as well.

3. I have been increasing my MP10 flow bit by bit and its at a level that it is starting to move my substrate below it. Had to back off somewhat. I still feel that flow could still be better. But am unsure how to go about it without making it rough for the fishes.

I am still unable to tell if the clado is growing or lessening.

Back