• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What kind of eggs are these?

TeaHausCanada

Hello from Canada and happy new year to everyone. This morning I woke up to my scape covered in these eggs. I do have ramshorn snails in there but normally I've seen these clutches attached to the glass that seem to be the snail eggs. I have a school of corys (Sterbai and a couple of bronze corys). The one bronze cory has been looking pretty fat lately and am wondering if this is her scattering eggs throughout the leaves. Here's a close-up pic of what I'm seeing. Any advice/suggestion is appreciated.
SnailEggs.jpg

Hi all,
The one bronze cory has been looking pretty fat lately and am wondering if this is her scattering eggs throughout the leaves. Here's a close-up pic of what I'm seeing. Any advice/suggestion is appreciated. View attachment 214652
Yes, Corydoras eggs.

Cheers Darrel

Hello from Canada and happy new year to everyone. This morning I woke up to my scape covered in these eggs. I do have ramshorn snails in there but normally I've seen these clutches attached to the glass that seem to be the snail eggs. I have a school of corys (Sterbai and a couple of bronze corys). The one bronze cory has been looking pretty fat lately and am wondering if this is her scattering eggs throughout the leaves. Here's a close-up pic of what I'm seeing. Any advice/suggestion is appreciated. View attachment 214652
Nice macro shot!

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks Michael. My other hobby, photography. That's taken with an old Canon 1Ds2 and a 180L macro lens.
EOS 1DsII anno late 2004 - almost 20 years old... great to see those old work horses in action... I own the 180L 3.5 as well - think I got it in the mid nineties - nice piece of glass!

Cheers,
Michael

Hi all,
I notice snails going for them already.
They are tough eggs, so you can carefully remove them from the glass. I use finger tips to roll them off, but you could try sliding a credit card under them.

Once removed you would need a container to put them in. You can buy breeding boxes (like the Ziss one) or you can float a margarine carton in the tank, but you need some air or current flow to <"stop them fungusing">.

If I was trying to breed Corydoras etc. I'd use one of these <"Floating breeding ring with air lifter | Fauna Tropica">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
To be fair I get away with no air and just a couple of alder cones.
Personally I think that is fine, and I don't actually own a breeding box at the moment.

In the PlanetCatfish link <"Live tips to save cory eggs - PlanetCatfish.com"> a lot of people had success with water changes and just Ramshorn snails (Planorbella duryi), or Ramshorn snails and Alder (Alnus spp.) cones, and no air etc.

For me air is really just "belt and braces" and I'm happy to use Alder cones and <"Asellus"> or snails (either <"MTS - Melanoides tuberculata"> or Planorbella duryi).
...... So far, for the eggs from species that have spawn here: all fertile eggs seems to hatch just with ramshorn in aged water.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
In the PlanetCatfish link <"Live tips to save cory eggs - PlanetCatfish.com"> a lot of people had success with water changes and just Ramshorn snails (Planorbella duryi), or Ramshorn snails and Alder (Alnus spp.) cones, and no air etc.
Sorry I forgot to add, I’ll change most of the water in the tub daily and always have a few small Malaysian trumpet snails in there too.

Thanks for all the advice!! For now I've removed one anubias leaf that has a bunch stuck to it and placed it in a small nano shrimp scape that I have going. I'll do some water changes and see if anything develops.

Doesn't look like anything survived!! Too bad but a great learning experience. I think the snails seemed to have eaten the eggs. I can't see any but it is a very heavily planted tank so maybe somewhere there are survivors!

Doesn't look like anything survived!! Too bad but a great learning experience. I think the snails seemed to have eaten the eggs. I can't see any but it is a very heavily planted tank so maybe somewhere there are survivors!
Hi,
I've not kept any Corydorus for a number years but I had a good few Sterbai a while back. They were prolific egg layers (the front glass and plants) and I would quite often see an occasional young one appear out of the blue which was good as I didn't really want a tank full of them, the rest of the eggs I presume were eaten. On a single occasion I rescued one from the filter.
Cheers!

Hi,
I've not kept any Corydorus for a number years but I had a good few Sterbai a while back. They were prolific egg layers (the front glass and plants) and I would quite often see an occasional young one appear out of the blue which was good as I didn't really want a tank full of them, the rest of the eggs I presume were eaten. On a single occasion I rescued one from the filter.
Cheers!
Yes, I think I saw a couple of smaller sterbai last year. Originally had 5 in this tank, one just died recently, but there still seem to be 5 so maybe the baby is a big boy now.

Back