• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What plant is this?

Progen

I got this last weekend and posted on Facebook but no one could tell me what it was. I asked the tissue culture guy and he said it was probably a crypt but needed to see the flowers to know what it was.

So I left it secured by its sinker for the past few days and today, it was happily photosynthesising like crazy because it was near to the light.

Then I decided to remove it from its sinker and plant it properly, upon which I discovered that I actually have 3 plants per bundle. And each bundle was only USD0.40!

So what do I have here?

HuehTEx.jpg

JpHB2qV.jpg

Looks to be one of many ,many species of crypt.
Are the tissue cultured plant's not labeled when you purchase them?

Could be a crypt, but also an Aponogeton sp. a runner cut from it's bulb. :) Aponogeton and crypt can look remarkably simular at some stages..

For example: This is an Aponogeton longiplumulosus, if you don't know and had to guess. 9 out of 10 poeple would tip on Crypt.
skar-wasseraehre__1e543eed7be5c71f6e1e40db0f429c4d.jpg

Eventualy a Aponogeton will develop a bulb at the base, but often solled as a cutting without bulb. More adult grow form and flower ofcourse will reveale what iit eventuely is..

For crypt ID if you get it to flower than this is a nice place to start.
https://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html

At the end of the day, I really feel for the tissue culture guys who cater to hobbyists. This crypt (I hope it's that) was probably grown emersed on some spare land in a farm or nursery and so it didn't matter whether they brought in money or not although they were in superb condition despite having all of their roots trimmed to 1cm.

o5lctKF.jpg

With just a small market for their bread and butter plants, they'll be less inclined to experiment on culturing the rarer plants.

ps. Either that tank is lucky, I got lucky or the potting mix I used as substrate is magic (they were not planted though, just suspended in the water column) because some of these buggers' roots have grown longer by 4 - 5x in just 4 days.

Back