• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what price for my dwarf water lettuce?

Ben M

hi, i have some excess dwarf water lettuce, and i would like to sell it to make a little money towards ferts, plants etc. but i don't know what sort of price to try to sell it for. and should i sell it per so many plants e.g. 5, 10, 15 plants?

Hi all,
I'd try a £5 for 10 plants on Ebay, I think if you get in the spring people may want it for ponds etc. as well as aquariums.
It is a very good "floater" if you breed Gourami, Betta etc.

I'm not sure there is a "Dwarf Water Lettuce" as such, I think it's size is related to the amount of light and nutrients it receives, the plants in the tank at the moment are about as big as 50p piece, but there clonal "parents" were as big as a Cos lettuce, and had roots several feet long (they came from our landfill leachate remediation work, and had been grown under high pressure Sodium grow-lights in a warm glasshouse). Last year on the pond the same plant managed "tennis ball" sized rosettes.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
"Dwarf Water Lettuce" link is Interesting, plant is definitely Pistia, but I would be willing to wager a reasonable amount of money that that is a light/fertilizer effect and it is the ordinary species, as most aquarium grown plants look exactly like that, but if you treat them to some more light and fertilizer they will soon grow much bigger rosettes.
cheers Darrel

hi, so is there a proper species of dwarf water lettuce, or is it just a stunted version of the proper water lettuce? where i found it there was only 1 "dwarf water lettuce" plant, but many water lettuces, which makes me think that it is the same species.

if it is the same species, then could i put some in a tub of water with a layer of compost in the bottom, and then put it in my poly tunnel to make it grow into proper water lettuce?

cheers :thumbup:

"if it is the same species, then could i put some in a tub of water with a layer of compost in the bottom, and then put it in my poly tunnel to make it grow into proper water lettuce?"

All most certainly yes, the only think I'd say is that althought the plants will survive at 10o C, they don't like it and will slowly decline, so they need to be in water/air at at least 15oC to grow.
cheers Darrel

thanks, i think i'll leave it until it gets a bit warmer.

so do you think people would buy it on the forums for £5 for 10 plants?

cheers :thumbup:

Back