• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What product(s)

idris

In my preparation for starting off my new tank as emerged I read the following:
" mist the plants ... with a NPK and trace solution 2x a week "
Can anyone tell me what products I could use to do this? I'm not fussed whether it's making up a solution from dry powders or an all in one like TPN, but having no experience with ferts I'm completely in the dark on this.

If its only for spraying the leaves, I would go for miracle grow or any other commercial gardening fertilizer, just diluted to 3- times less of the recommended dose.

Check this out: http://gwapa.org/wordpress/2011/04/march-2011-meeting/#more-920

I'm using the dry salts at the moment, but for the emerged growth I'm going to try the gardening stuff as it will work out cheaper IMO.

Thanks Antoni. Interesting article. I think my wife may have some Miracle Grow in the green house :D

Antoni knows what he's doing - not knocking his advice as i've never tried it but i would be VERY careful using garden ferts - some of them contain copper which is toxic to some livestock (esp. shrimps)
I'd always be cautious and use aquarium ferts
Matt

bigmatt said:
Antoni knows what he's doing - not knocking his advice as i've never tried it but i would be VERY careful using garden ferts - some of them contain copper which is toxic to some livestock (esp. shrimps)
I'd always be cautious and use aquarium ferts
Matt

Hi Matt, I have not tried it yet, but will give it a go as soon as I manage to go to the gardening center. As I mentioned I would only use it for emerged leaves spraying, will not use it personally and would not recommend using it in the water/ tank itself as this would be a guaranty for algae and problems!

idris said:
In my preparation for starting off my new tank as emerged I read the following:
" mist the plants ... with a NPK and trace solution 2x a week "
Can anyone tell me what products I could use to do this? I'm not fussed whether it's making up a solution from dry powders or an all in one like TPN, but having no experience with ferts I'm completely in the dark on this.

I got the impression that this is going to be an emmersed setup for plants propagation and will not be flooded later on. If you are planning dry start for a planted tank, definitely this is NOT a solution for you!

Sorry for the confusion!
Antoni

Antoni said:
...If you are planning dry start for a planted tank, definitely this is NOT a solution for you!...
This is what I'm doing. "Dry start" is not a phrase I've seen widely sed so I appologise for my ambiguity. But thanks for the clarification.

No worries my friend, I do apologise! I'm consumed with my wabi kusa mania and just presumed you are doing something like that o_O

Use normal planted aquarium fertilizers based on Tom Barr's Estimate index or ready made mix TPN and you will be fine. The one that Alastair pointed out, they are cheap, ready made and will give you nice results :)

I would like to thanks Matt for the good point, as we could mess things up :shifty:

Regards

Antoni

Back