• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to feed my Otts and plec ie cucumber

Hi all,
Most vegetables will do, I use blanched green beans and peas, cooked carrot and raw courgette, cucumber, red pepper, melon skin/flesh and sweet potato.

Otocinclus are only interested in soft food, but Ancistrus, Peckoltia and Hypancistrus will eat sweet potato when it is fresh, and Panaque prefer harder veg. like yam, melon rind and sweet potato.

You could have a look here for some more options <http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=987>.

cheers Darrel

My ottos love zuccini (courgette)! I also feed it to my plecos (peppermint, blue phantom, green phantom) and the other fish seem to love it aswell. I have tried feeding cucumber but my fish dont seem to like it. I slightly boil the veg and then keep it in freezer.

6966672039_098c51da1c.jpg
Ottos eating courgette by andrejacobs81, on Flickr

andrejacobs81 said:
My ottos love zuccini (courgette)! I also feed it to my plecos (peppermint, blue phantom, green phantom) and the other fish seem to love it aswell. I have tried feeding cucumber but my fish dont seem to like it. I slightly boil the veg and then keep it in freezer.

But how do you actually feed it ? Raw ? Cooked ? Sliced ? Whole ? How long do you leave it in for ? Do you weight it down with anything ? Cheers.... :)

cut into slices and weighted down to the bottom with something (anything) I personally use plant weights but you can also use spoons etc.

My ottos never seem to be interested in veg - the shrimp however swarm it.

By the time it's been in the tank for a while/gone mushy the shrimp have already demolished it.

Should I try leaving a piece of cucumber in constantly (replace it every day)? Was worried about pollution since it's a 23L tank.

I take a courgette, slice it in 2 or 3, put it in a bowl with water, and then just microwave it 30 seconds at a time and poke it with a fork until the fork can pierce it with not to much force (this is the quick hack method, you can steam it aswell). Important not to over do it i.e. it becomes soggy.

I then let it cool down and slice it into slices like the previous picture shows, some times I cut those slices in 4 pieces as well. I keep a couple in the fridge to be served out and the rest I freeze.

For serving I just throw 1 or 2 pieces in the tank every 2 or 3 days, not bothering with weighing it down. I have found that it gets water logged and sink to the bottom anyway. I also don't bother much with removing the left overs, there usually isn't any left apart from maybe the outer skin layer. Either my filter takes care of it or I remove it when it swirls around at the top. I do remove any pieces I spot during the weekly water change.

This is for my 110L tank being over filtered with a Fluval 306

Cucumber tends to go off quickly, so I prefer to use courgette as it lasts for longer.

Another thing that you can do is grow algae on stones in another tank or outside and move them to the display tank for the Otos. I imagine that it might increase the risk of an alagae outbreak, but it should be minimal as you can just reduce the targeted feeding while the Otos catch up.

Good thread, its nice to get some tips .. now if i can just find somewhere to buy some? I have 5 lfs near me and not one got any in or will have any in for a few more weeks, including qurantine time :(

somethingfishy said:
Good thread, its nice to get some tips .. now if i can just find somewhere to buy some? I have 5 lfs near me and not one got any in or will have any in for a few more weeks, including qurantine time :(

Did you check this recently? I went to both Maidenheads a couple of weekends ago and one of them had some plump looking Otto's. I have a funny feeling it was Scotsdales but couldn't be certain as I went to them one after the other. Might be worth a quick phone call.

Andy

awtong said:
somethingfishy said:

Did you check this recently? I went to both Maidenheads a couple of weekends ago and one of them had some plump looking Otto's. I have a funny feeling it was Scotsdales but couldn't be certain as I went to them one after the other. Might be worth a quick phone call.

Andy
They have had them at coton for 4 weeks but are not ready to sell any, because they keep losing some. Think i would rather wait for a thresh batch.

My wife has told me PAH Newmarket have Otto's in stock. I haven't seen them so not sure what they are like but it isn't too far from you if you are still after them.

Andy

I feed mine with courgette and cucumber, occasionally plec algae tabs.
Pets at home usually have otos

awtong said:
My wife has told me PAH Newmarket have Otto's in stock. I haven't seen them so not sure what they are like but it isn't too far from you if you are still after them.

Andy

Got some from PAH Newmarket on friday cheers :) Not the greatest looking bunch, but i will hopefully give them a much happier home.

I've been feeding my Ottos on Cougette (30 secs in the microwave and then frozen), but was going to go in for putting pebbles in a tank on the windowsill just to grow algae for them, so we can see how we get on.

somethingfishy said:
awtong said:

Andy

Got some from PAH Newmarket on friday cheers :) Not the greatest looking bunch, but i will hopefully give them a much happier home.

Hope they work out for you.

somethingfishy said:
We have a goldfish tank and was wondering if i could leave a couple of stones in there to build up algae then put them in the main tank for the otto's. Is this ok do you think?
The goldfish should eat that algae, as they quite like their greens, but you may get a very thin layer left over.

Back