• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to put under cat litter and mycorrizal fungi....

andyseatrout

I am just checking, as I am ready to put in the substrate; do I need Irish moss peat compost or Irish moss peat, as I am assuming the two are very different?

I tried to get hold of some today and the only thing available was the Irish moss which comes in bales and is about £10, is this the stuff I need?

It was very close to closing time at the garden centre when I eventually got there, so didn't have much time to discuss my requirements with the staff there, but they suggested that I used a product called "rootgrow". This (endorsed by the RHS) contains beneficial mycorrizal fungi carried on "natural minerals". I would be very inteested to know if anyone has used this with success or if indeed the aquatic plants have a relationship with these fungi?

Hi,
This is completely unnecessary. The only reason for using peat under the sediment is because the peat will decay and release carbohydrates which the nitrifying bacteria will consume thereby boosting their population. From that standpoint you don't even require peat, just any form of carbohydrate or any small amount of rotting vegetation. You can go right out to your front lawn and get a handfull of grass and let it dry, then place it on the bottom. Grab a handful of soil as well to get some bacteria.

There is absolutely no advantage in spending hard earned cash on exotic fungi. Aquatic plants simply don't care about any of that.

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply Clive.

Just to double check then, all I need is the washed cat litter, water column dosing, lights, CO2 and decent flow? I have now completely sealed up both the tank and the sump with coverglass and acrylic, so I should make more efficient use of my CO2 than I was originally planning.

That would suit me better, as I didn't really want to go mixing substrates in the first place, but I do plan on putting some osmocote in there to give myself a bit of leeway at the beginning as I am not yet fully up to speed with EI.

If this is going to be the way forward, I would like to get the osmocote and cat litter in tomorrow, with a view to start aquascaping on Wednesday - very exciting!

Yes mate, the idea is to simplify things as much as possible and to pay particular attention to the things that really matter. Everything else is just fluff. Sealing the sump will make a huge difference. Your method of CO2 injection and flow distribution are equally critical. EI is so simple it's ridiculous. The calculations have already be done for you so just start with the basic values for your size tank.

Do not be so frightened of EI that you ruin the tank by overdosing osmocote. All you need is one or two teaspoons per square foot on the bottom glass. Osmocote contains ammonia so you don't want to add a whole lot. Then add an equally small amount of peat or other vegetable matter. If yo have mulm from someone else's filter or sediment, then lay some of that down and then the kitty litter on top. End of scene.

Cheers,

Thanks for that.

What I will do then is return the fungi for a refund and pick up a bale of irish peat moss. I will also be able to get some filter mulm from a planted tank at my local fish shop.

Thanks also for the advice on the osmocote - I will follow your directions.

Journal starting soon!

Back