• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to put under moler clay

zebradanio

Hi
I,m about to upgrade to a fluval roma 240 and can't quite bring myself to spending £140 on 4 bags of aqua soil (maybe in the future)
So was thinking about going with moler clay , but unsure about what would should go underneath it , compost , osmocote , jbl aqua basis or nothing , anybody tried any of these methods and if so what were the results ?
Cheers
Peter

any, all or none really up to you. I used osmocote and sphagnum moss peat under akadama in the last tank which heavy rooting plants loved but as another option adding some tropica Plant Growth Substrate will aid in flow through the substrate and it has added magical goodies (think its just a bit of compost) mixed with it. A couple of bags would do it as you only need 1-2cm of it so not too pricey.

Is the tank one of the ones in your sig ?
Also did the substrate stay separate and tidy or did it end up mixed and did the peat turn the water brown.
I think the tropica substrate is similar to jbl aqua basis which I have now and would cost about £24 for the roma , so might be an option .

Back