• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What Wood?

GDM

Hi All,

I'm hoping for an ident on the attached wood. Unfortunately I don't know the species but the things I do know:
  • It's been sat in my Dad's yard on the Welsh boarder of Hereford for the last 8 years, partially submerged under a pile of dirt.
  • I've just pressure washed it using the head on the lance that lifts dirt of the patio and it came up nice, there was a little bit of soft / loose rotten wood that came very easily exposing what you see.
I'd love to use it in my tank, if it's not going to rot / be safe to use.

Thank you in advance for checking my wood out :crazy:.

17277406371_7d972a2958_c.jpg

17090117498_a38b3bf6fb_c.jpg

Hi all,
Should be fine, unless it is soft all over? It is too long dead to actually tell which tree it was, although a conifer (Yew?) would be my guess. I'm originally from Almeley, and I've still got family in the Weobley area.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, honoured you've replied.

The dry flaky wood came off a treat with the jet washer. I've submerged as much much of it as a big bucket will let me so let's see what a week of being underwater does. When you tap the main body it sounds 'solid' rather than that slightly hollow sounds when timber is completely rotten but it is very light.

He's a little further West than you were, Huntington. His place is in England while the field over the road is in Wales! Glorious part of the world.

I'm a south western immigrant too - swindonian by marriage!

Best,
Garry

I also make little dry terra scapes, sometimes for fun. Or rather moist than dry, orchids sphagnum and such. Unfortunattely my baby Nephentes died, last year and this should be shot at day light, this sucks.
aKtXzdz.jpg

Anyway that piece of wood, like a sitting model :) i found digging in the yard with rooting up some old Hortensia, which was rapped around a pole, so i could make a cup in it. But that piece of wood was drying for 13 years in a seller, turned out to be very nasty. It was one big fungus bomb, even cooking didnt help, it was deep in there and popping out all the time. That could be a problem with very old long dead wood found in nature. I mean thats what i should do, dont submurse it at first keep it a few weeks moist in a closed tank. If its in there it will pop out sooner emersed and moist (More oxygen), rather somewhat cooler than to warm.

Finaly i had to put it in epoxy and it was ok.. But that is not an option submerged, doesn't look right. It wood look like a shining billart cue for ages..

BTW very nice piece of wood you found there.. I would like to have it... I see a wonderfull cave tree. Uhu!!

Last edited:
Hi all,
it all goes on in Kington!
Very cosmopolitan these days I believe, almost like a little Ludlow.

Big events used to be the Foundress day football game against Presteigne, the Kington Show and the sheep sale in the Autumn.

We used to go to Hay on Wye for a big night out, the main attraction was we might meet some-one we didn't already know and who you weren't related to.

cheers Darrel

Brilliant. My old man lives next door to the hunt master, if that's your sort of thing.....always a story......

Best
Garry

Back