• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What Zebra Ottos eat? Echinodorus !

ghostsword

@ghostsword - I have purchased 3 zebra ottos from @AquaticDesignUK , they were kept in perfect form, well fed and on a tank by themselves.

Got the home and started to feed them algae wafers, cucumber and potatoes.

Did not seen them eating any of the above, but been noticing that the echinodorus leaves started to become transparent. At first I thought that I was missing any nutrient, but the ottos remained fat and always around the large echinodorus leaves.

Then it dawned on me, one of the reasons I do not keep ancistrus is for that reason alone, they eat my echinodorus!

So I you want to keep zebra ottos and are wondering what to feed them there it goes, large echinodorus will make them happy. :)

I though you have 4 :) I have echinodorus parviflorus and they do not touch them but my dwarf lily getting holes in leaves and I see oto on it sometimes but never suspected him as I though something is wrong with lily each leave grows for 2 week then die out hmm...

Radik, I got 4 black ottos an 3 zebra ottos. :) and two small affinis. :)

I really like echinodorus, got one emersed on the garden, but they are amazing plants for underwater as well.

I'm just glad the ottos are eating, they are quite large, close to 7cm each, way bigger than the normal ottos.

interesting thread, i am picking up two dozen large zebra ottos early next week and have been thinking about the different foods to offer them, in regards to amazon swords and the leaves been eaten, i have a couple in one of my tanks and i have always blamed the Ancistrus brevifilis bodenhameri (5) and L181 starlight (1) for the leaf damage on the bleheri swords, i have never noticed any of the Otocinclus macrospilus (about a dozen) bother them.
also at the moment i have 3 or 4 other species and cultivars of swords in the tank and they are not bothered by any of the plecs

I have black ottos and affinis on the tank and they all left the swords alone, but the zebra ottos are going through the bleheri like ibis candy. The leaf is not too damaged, just going transparent.

I am thinking about putting the plant on a pot and treat it as food for them, adding to the tank once it recovers.

They are leaving the ocelot and Parviflorus alone for now. :)

They were more expensive than a whole tank full of echinodorus, so I'm happy that they are eating.

that sounds like a good plan, i think my 3 bleheri will be getting potted up in the next day or ttwo, i had been thinking of removing them soon before they start to grow too big anyway, now i have a reason, yep they are more expensive than sword plants and more than the common oto species, but i think they are one beautiful fish, i have wanted them for quite a while, i plan on keeping 10 or 12 and passing on the others to other fish keepers i know.

bogman said:
that sounds like a good plan, i think my 3 bleheri will be getting potted up in the next day or ttwo, i had been thinking of removing them soon before they start to grow too big anyway, now i have a reason, yep they are more expensive than sword plants and more than the common oto species, but i think they are one beautiful fish, i have wanted them for quite a while, i plan on keeping 10 or 12 and passing on the others to other fish keepers i know.
Do I know you Joe? :lol:

Yes, they are amazing looking fish. The ones I have came from Germany, would love to be able to breed them, but I think that it is very hard. They are quite big for ottos, would be cool to have a tank just for them.

Back