• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where can I find glass containers like this?

I've seen similar sold as vase' in Ikea, I'd chance that if their lights are from there the containers are too.
I'd be very interested to see how well their plants are doing long term under those lights, better still par ratings, I've been eyeing them up since they were new.

Maybe they're home made?
If they're just for growing moss then kilner jars are like £1 and I'm sure would be plenty big enough.

The cheap kilner jars from ikea have a tendancy to crack around the lid and shards of glass come off, so be careful with them.

Why complicate? I use cookie jars, and they have lids...
BBCJ0001.jpg

SuperColey1 said:
He/she looks like they've cut the glass and made the lids. I would guess he bought the jars though :)

I got my local glazers to make me a cover glass for my 10l nano.
A single sheet of glass with rounded corners, and smoothed edges (so I can handle it without cutting myself)
Cost about £2.50.
Think it would have been half that price without the rounded corners.

Yes - I'm THAT Mobile_gnome...

I bought those glass vase cylinders at a few stores (in the US) - Marshall's, Ross's, and TJ Maxx.

I had originally been looking for glassware at Michaels and HobbyLobby - and then my helpful Mrs pointed out that the housewares section of Ross's and Marshall's had lots of discount vases.

So I have been hitting all their stores in the area and have been able to pick up those nice glass cylinders in 4" - 10" diameter sizes for pretty low prices - the 6" dia by 6" tall ones cost $4.00 I think. (At one point I had actually bought all of cylinder vase inventory at the 4 locations in my town...)

Another good find was a 12" dia by 6" deep straight sided salad bowl that Old World Market was selling.

I have been going to the local glass cutter and having custom tops made. It's been like $3.00 a piece - which was very reasonable. They cut the round or the square and polish the edges for me. I have been fixing the tops on with paper bandage tape (breathes) or silicon weather stripping - but for the most part they're just held on by gravity.

My main use for these has been making Terrariums with locally collected moss specimens, but I have done a few nano-tank builds using 6" and 7" glass cubes and a TOM mfg'rd in-tank nano filter. Currently have Marimo balls in one and Dwarf Hair Grass in another. At that size tank - only White Cloud minnows, pygmy corys and shrimp fit comfortably - and I have been choosing to leave the livestock out of the equation.

I have been lighting the nano tanks with the IKEA LED lamps pictured in the shot linked in the previous message. I like those VERY much. Nice and bright and not too expensive.

Here's the link to all my Aquarium photos -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mobile_gno ... 247420974/

And the Terrarium set -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mobile_gno ... 306436167/

Back