• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where plants go to die

So a shop like pets at home can just change the holding tanks a bit, add lots of CO2 (cheap in bulk) and ferts daily, this would ensure that the plants were at their best..

I would think that Anubias and ferns would be best to be left of a emersed state, with lots of humidity, right?

What happens when they don't get the balance right? That then is a problem in itself.

Ian Holdich said:
What happens when they don't get the balance right? That then is a problem in itself.
Very low light.....more margin for error?

Ian Holdich said:
What balance? They have no livestock to worry about so loads of ferts, co2 and minimal light or have I missed somthing?

People still run into problems, shed loads of c02 and things still melt, there will still be problems. The key is clean water. Do the holding tanks run from the same system or are they connected to the mains?

I am sure that the plants rather have low light, lots of co2 and nutrients than clean water.. :) what is clean water anyway? :)

I think that if these shops just added some co2, lowered the light intensity, and a daily dose of nutrients, they would see a marked improvement.

ghostsword said:
I am sure that the plants rather have low light, lots of co2 and nutrients than clean water.. :) what is clean water anyway? :)

I think that if these shops just added some co2, lowered the light intensity, and a daily dose of nutrients, they would see a marked improvement.

And not change any water? Because that's what will happen. We all know that not to do regular water changes causes problems when dosing n & p, I'm affraid sling loads of frets and co2 into a holding tank, isn't that easy. Low light or no low light, plants will still produce organic waste that needs to be out of a tank on a regular basis, stocked or not. Look at the EI regime...

Ian Holdich said:
ghostsword said:

And not change any water? Because that's what will happen. We all know that not to do regular water changes causes problems when dosing n & p, I'm affraid sling loads of frets and co2 into a holding tank, isn't that easy. Low light or no low light, plants will still produce organic waste that needs to be out of a tank on a regular basis, stocked or not. Look at the EI regime...

I would imagine that if they are going to make changes and start using CO2 and Ferts that the simple task of changing the water would also be part of the plan. They do water changes in the fish tanks already. Lets hope so :)

That's why I wondered whether that the holding tanks were connected to the mains, like the main tanks are. It's a piece of cake for em to change water in the main tanks. We have to remember that they are a pets store, not a lfs, they are there to make money and they make the most monies on dry foods. If dosing on a plant holding tank, a weekly water Chang is doable, but will it get done if they get busy? I suppose we'll have to wait and see. My point was that it may be easy for us to drop ferts and c02 into a tank, and change water...this is because we're bothered. For the best will the world a water change is easy for us, but some get lapse.

Ian Holdich said:
That's why I wondered whether that the holding tanks were connected to the mains, like the main tanks are. It's a piece of cake for em to change water in the main tanks. We have to remember that they are a pets store, not a lfs, they are there to make money and they make the most monies on dry foods. If dosing on a plant holding tank, a weekly water Chang is doable, but will it get done if they get busy? I suppose we'll have to wait and see. My point was that it may be easy for us to drop ferts and c02 into a tank, and change water...this is because we're bothered. For the best will the world a water change is easy for us, but some get lapse.

I know what you are saying Ian, but also if changes are afoot then that shows intent, which I would hope would include changing the water once or twice a week. If the company as a whole has seen that they are throwing away and wasting so many plants, when in fact if what they had there was as we all have come to expect from places such as AE, AJ and TGM, they would sell more, make more profit and potentially encourage more customers into the lucrative world of "planted aquaria" then we can hope, at least, that a water change is one part of their new regime. The plant stand in our store is connected to a drain even though it is in the middle of the section. I don't know for sure if its connected to water as well. I think it is as I recall being there when it was refilling once and there were no hosepipes draped across the floor. But even if they are not directly connected, there is nothing to say that it cannot be done "after or before opening hours". Most branches now seem to have dedicated staff to the aquatics section, and for their part, the Eastbourne crew are pretty enthusiastic. Time, as you have alluded, is an issue. But if, as an employee, your management are behind a new initiative, things tend to be carried through. I would prefer to live in hope than forecast doom and gloom before they have even tried. After all, if it becomes a successful venture, it will bring quality to many more hobbyists hopefully.

I'm not forecasting doom and gloom Chris, far from it, I'm mearly saying to Louis, that they wouldn't get away with not changing water in the holding tanks as your going to see the same as the pics posted by the original poster.

I am sure that the issue is education, not time. Once management sees that they make more money by having good plants, they will surerely make changes.

Changing the water on the holding tank is much easier than cleaning the rabbits, rats, etc.. so they will do it.. :)

I am sure a lot of work get's done outside hours, so changing 20% of water a week will be fine.

The main thing is to get them to understand that they make more money with healthy plants, than with the mess they have now. Money moves mountains.. :)

Hopefully they will sort it and I'm sure they will knowing Tropica, as mark stated earlier, I'm sure there is big things coming from them. I just hope that p@h would stick with it if training was given and don't let things slip.

Is adding co2 & ferts a viable solution they already face a 10 hour photoperiod due to the shops opening hours and don't we change water daily on tank startup keep the photoperiod short plus we are trying to grow plants they just need to hold them if they get it wrong wont the algae problems be magnified by technically being in what we would class as a high tech setup if co2 and ferts would be there solution wouldn't they have done it long ago I can only speak for the store near me where they have made changes as in smaller holding tanks and they order less and they have changed lighting over the holding tanks to t5 instead of the MH lights they were using

"Give nature half a chance and it will surprise you with its ability to regenerate"

I have had plants totally disintegrate on me before then found a tiny piece of it left floating about at the top which then turned out to be some of my favourite plants.

tim said:
Is adding co2 & ferts a viable solution they already face a 10 hour photoperiod due to the shops opening hours and don't we change water daily on tank startup keep the photoperiod short plus we are trying to grow plants they just need to hold them if they get it wrong wont the algae problems be magnified by technically being in what we would class as a high tech setup if co2 and ferts would be there solution wouldn't they have done it long ago I can only speak for the store near me where they have made changes as in smaller holding tanks and they order less and they have changed lighting over the holding tanks to t5 instead of the MH lights they were using

Tim, they already got the photoperiod, not giving the plants CO2 and ferts is what is creating a mess. CO2 and ferts do not create algae, but the lack of it surely does. :)

They get plants weekly, so why not empty the tank weekly as well? 100% water change if needed. Raise the light, or use spot lights instead.. but without giving the plants co2 and ferts, dumping them underwater, when they were all grown emersed, is a bit crazy..

Ian Holdich said:
Hopefully they will sort it and I'm sure they will knowing Tropica, as mark stated earlier, I'm sure there is big things coming from them. I just hope that p@h would stick with it if training was given and don't let things slip.

Well I will second that :) Its funny, as in the early part of this year I suggested to the section manager in our store that they talk to Tropica and suggest they invest a bit in the plant tanks as a way of bringing their plants "to the masses" at a quality that would encourage people to buy. I don't for one minute think it was my suggestion that has prompted this, but it is good to hear that things are afoot. I have had many good plants from them.

i suggested months ago that they should use exo terra terrariums. bit of water in the bottom. keep door shut for humidity. bingo. the plants are grown emersed anyway.

Freshly washed and cut salad in the supermarket has a longer shelf life than plants held at some of these places. A little attention to a plant's needs would go a long way, nothing too major. We're talking about a chain that can barely keep on top of removing dead livestock, let alone addresses the carbon needs of green stuff.
Sorry for the tone, but I'm skeptical of the business model there, there are better options available to us. I get mail orders from www.livingwatersonline.co.uk, great prices and choice, friendly experts, just better all round than a lucky dip on a Saturday afternoon, past shelves of dog biscuits and sad parrots.

Back