• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Ferts should I be Using

Gill

Which Ferts should I be Using and how much for the 1500.
I still have some of the TPN from @Stid00 and just add a big glug each week after each water change.
Can I just order another 5L jug of this or is there a better more affordable option.
I do remember loosing shrimp in the past using TPN, but haven't really noticed in this one.
Cheers

I still have some of the TPN
I take that to mean Tropica Premium Nutrition ? Thats the one without Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Which means, basically just K and traces.

If you get N and P from other sources, I would just follow the dosing recommendation on the bottle - 6 ml per 50 L per week. With a high plant mass perhaps more.
I do remember loosing shrimp in the past using TPN
That seems less likely to be the cause unless you grossly overdosed (5-6 times recommended dosing) and got a lethal level of Copper (Cu) buildup (shrimps are very sensitive to Cu and to a lesser extent Zn).

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I take that to mean Tropica Premium Nutrition ? Thats the one without Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Which means, basically just K and traces.

If you get N and P from other sources, I would just follow the dosing recommendation on the bottle - 6 ml per 50 L per week. With a high plant mass perhaps more.

That seems less likely to be the cause unless you grossly overdosed (5-6 times recommended dosing) and got a lethal level of Copper (Cu) buildup (shrimps are very sensitive to Cu and to a lesser extent Zn).

Cheers,
Michael
Cheers,
I will have a look and see what's best to fill the N&P gap.
My Math's is terrible, so for 500L would that be 50ml per week. Plant mass is now Dense filled with loads of Swords and Vallisernia types Will have a browse on eBay and see what 5L tubs are available.

Yeah I think it was when it 1st came out, And Copper levels were a higher concentration. And I ended up OD a Nano.

My Math's is terrible, so for 500L would that be 50ml per week. Plant mass is now Dense filled with loads of Swords and Vallisernia types Will have a browse on eBay and see what 5L tubs are available.
For a 500 L tank the Tropica recommended dosing will then be 60 ml per week.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

Cheers,
Michael
Actually sorry work iGel didn't expand the TPN you mentioned it isn't the tropica one it's an dark apple green. I'll check the label, when I remember later

Its actually TNC

Attachments

• 20240503_062001.jpg
    20240503_062001.jpg
    915.7 KB · Views: 22
I use this and think this is a good All in one, l imagine it's similar to Tropica Specalised in that it contains all essential nutrients, My low tech aquariums l just add at weekly water change weekly. No difficult plants but the Amazon Swords are 15inches in sand no root tablets,l do add a bit more than rec. dosage based on plant health and growth

I use this and think this is a good All in one, l imagine it's similar to Tropica Specalised in that it contains all essential nutrients, My low tech aquariums l just add at weekly water change weekly. No difficult plants but the Amazon Swords are 15inches in sand no root tablets,l do add a bit more than rec. dosage based on plant health and growth
Thanks for the Info. I will start dosing at recommended amount and see what happens. As I'm just adding a big glue of it.
I'll order this one again

If I were using the Tropica one at 50 ml a week, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep the tank filled with water!!
TNC is the good stuff!

Hi all,
If I were using the Tropica one at 50 ml a week, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep the tank filled with water!!
Honestly dry salts are the answer for larger volume tanks, it really is a "no-brainer" - <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

You can argue about aesthetics etc with lights and filters, but with fertilisers every potassium (K+) (or nitrate (NO3-) etc) is the same as every other one. <"Ions don't "know" what salt they came from">, or how much that fertiliser cost and it is the same for plants, they don't preferentially take up ions from ADA or Seachem's premium fertiliser, compared to the ions from <"Miracle Gro"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Honestly dry salts are the answer for larger volume tanks, it really is a "no-brainer" - <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

You can argue about aesthetics etc with lights and filters, but with fertilisers every potassium (K+) (or nitrate (NO3-) etc) is the same as every other one. <"Ions don't "know" what salt they came from">, or how much that fertiliser cost and it is the same for plants, they don't preferentially take up ions from ADA or Seachem's premium fertiliser, compared to the ions from <"Miracle Gro"> etc.

cheers Darrel

I need this dumbed Down, as I dont understand Dry Ferts at all @dw1305 .

What are your feelings about this one now, Gill? I'm not up to mixing my own yet and I need a shrimp-safe all in one. 5L TNC is coming in at £65 on Amazon.
TBh Ive only started using it this weekend so will report back shortly. The TNC just ran out so opened this one up yesterday.

What are your feelings about this one now, Gill? I'm not up to mixing my own yet and I need a shrimp-safe all in one. 5L TNC is coming in at £65 on Amazon.

Why would you buy it from there when it's considerably cheaper elsewhere? It's between £45-£55 at other sites. If that eBay one is decent I'll try that also though, as that is very cheap for 5L of pre-mixed. I'm sure someone will tell us the exact formula breakdown and whether it has enough of everything required or not :D

I'm sure someone will tell us the exact formula breakdown and whether it has enough of everything required or not :D
10ml in a 30L tank adds:
NO3 5.9ppm
PO4 0.31ppm
K 3.9ppm
Mg 0.39ppm
Fe 0.1ppm
B 0.01ppm
Mn 0.02ppm
Zn 0.01ppm

One might need to add extra Magnesium but other than that it should be enough of everything for a low tech set up when dosed at the recommended level.

Incidentally 4ml of TNC complete in 30L of water would add:
N2
P0.267
K6.667
Mg1.067
Fe0.107
Mn0.024
Cu0.003
B0.013
Zn0.013
Mo0.001

So whilst the aqua design plant fertiliser is cheaper, the tnc complete adds more N,P,K,Mg and Fe with a 60% smaller dose.

10ml in a 30L tank adds:
NO3 5.9ppm
PO4 0.31ppm
K 3.9ppm
Mg 0.39ppm
Fe 0.1ppm
B 0.01ppm
Mn 0.02ppm
Zn 0.01ppm

One might need to add extra Magnesium but other than that it should be enough of everything for a low tech set up when dosed at the recommended level.

Incidentally 4ml of TNC complete in 30L of water would add:
N2
P0.267
K6.667
Mg1.067
Fe0.107
Mn0.024
Cu0.003
B0.013
Zn0.013
Mo0.001

So whilst the aqua design plant fertiliser is cheaper, the tnc complete adds more N,P,K,Mg and Fe with a 60% smaller dose.

Thank you for that. So I suppose it's less of a bargain than it first appears then compared to TNC at £45-£50 per 5L when you take into account how much you need to dose.

Back