• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which LED bulbs to go for?

Gfish

Hi all,

I'm planning a large tank, 6.5ft long x 26wide x 20.5high. I'll be building a huge foam raft with substrate in troughs to plant tall emersed plants into. Inside the tank will be nothing but anubias on large pieces of wood.
What I'm struggling with is the choice of bulbs. I want LED and I want warm white. I've got 2 strips of 4 spotlights that will be wired and mounted inline. These have a dimmer facility built in so I would like to use dimmable bulbs. But should I go for 9watt, 6watt or watt??? :)

The lights will be mounted 3 to 4ft above the water and I'm not looking for strong lighting but don't want to regret going too low on wattage when I buy these bulbs.
Anyone done anything similar and can advise???

Is there a downside to having 9watt and having to dim them right down???

Many thanks

Gavin

I'm leaning toward 6watt bulbs with 45 degree angles. I have a feeling 9 watts will be too bright and I'll be be dimming it down as far as possible. On the description of 9watt bulbs on a page on Fleabay they say that they're the optimum strength for lighting a room. I only want to light a fishtank and I have 2 strips of 4 spotlights.

I might buy the 6 x 6watt 45 degree and use 2 stronger wider beam bulbs with them to make 8 in total.
What's your thoughts on that????

Cheers

:)

Back