• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which plants do well without co2 addition?

Ajm200

Has anyone compiled a list of plants that do well without co2? Always thought crypts, anubias and swords were ok but since joining this forum have seen instances were lack of co2 has been blamed for issues with these plants. Which ones are ok for low light, no co2 setups?

Thanks
Amanda

in my non co2 tank i have Hygrophila polysperma, Limnophila sessiliflora, Crypts, moss balls, straight vallis, amazon sword, anubias and java fern. and dwarf water lettuce, riccia, amazon frogbit, Salvinia natans and red root floater floating.

cheers :D

Hi Amanda

In my 95l low tech I have straight vallis, crypt wendtii brown, crypt wendtii green, crypt wendtii Mia Oya, Hygrophila corymbosa 'compact', Java fern, Amazon swords, Echinodorus bleheri, Echinodorus ozelot and Echinodorus 'rose'.
The only thing I have noticed is that when the Echinodorus 'rose' sprouts new leaves they are nice and red but as they get bigger they tend to darken and then turn green. I would hazard a guess that this is down to the low lighting (1wpg), but hey, no dramas, all the plants are in healthy condition.
So as you can see from my post and all the others above, there are plenty of plants for you to choose from.
Ajm200 said:
Always thought crypts, anubias and swords were ok but since joining this forum have seen instances were lack of co2 has been blamed for issues with these plants
I wouldn't mind betting that it was fluctuating CO2 that has caused the problems you have read about, and not low CO2. That causes more problems than anything else in this hobby.
So as you can see from this thread, you can grow a whole range of plants without injected CO2. There are only a few exceptions to this rule, but your usual run of the mill aquatic shops don't tend to stock these as they concentrate on the fish.
So next time your in your local aquatic store, just buy the plants you like the look of. Most, if not all, will adapt to the low CO2 conditions.
Hope that helps.

Not having CO2 is NOT a problem - this site, by it's very nature, is full of hi-tech tanks with everything on them, but once you scratch the surface you see that most members also keep one or more low-tech tanks (probably because they are much, much cheaper!). Hi tech tanks grow plants quickly and can grow more demanding plants, but you can grow equally beautiful tanks without (and without the cost - i've set up my hi tech 57l on the cheap as much asa possible, and reckon it's still set me back more than £200)
If you have a look at this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10573
and visit the website they're talking about look under "complexity" and you'll see they've handily listed plants under their difficulty to grow.
Hope this helps

Back