• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which soil for low tech tank?

Matt Warner

Hi all, I was just after some recommendations for substrate for my low tech tank project. I will be temporarily rehoming my fish whilst I convert my tank to low tech, so I'm preferably after a substrate which won't leach much ammonia. What is everybody's favourite soil for a low tech tank.
Many thanks

When I ran my Walstad tanks I followed the recommendation in her book to use "loam". The closest I could get was a bag sterilised topsoil from Homebase. It was quite sandy but had a little bit of clay in, and it worked OK. I think if I was doing it again I would do the same thing but supplement it with some clay-based substrate.

Hi all, I was just after some recommendations for substrate for my low tech tank project. I will be temporarily rehoming my fish whilst I convert my tank to low tech, so I'm preferably after a substrate which won't leach much ammonia. What is everybody's favourite soil for a low tech tank.
Many thanks

Mineralize the soil first so the possible ammonia leaching is brought to almost nothing. I followed the method described in the below link and my cycled filters didn't take any ammonia hit/reading when I put the soil in.
As for what type of soil, it depends on the soil as they can alter your water stats. I personally used a bag of Homebase topsoil and a bag of B&Q topsoil and next time I'll use just the homebase stuff. My water stats like Ph, Gh, Kh, TDS, remained the same, which is great.
How-To: Mineralized Soil Substrate, by Aaron Talbot - Library - Aquatic Plant Central

Back