• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which substrate

steve_bham1

I’m currently setting up a sumped 4x2x2ft tank, which will be low tech and want it to look semi Amazon river style.

im just soaking 3 large red moor branches and will be using Hugo Kamishi natural fine gravel as I like the look of that more than sand!

My question is, what’s the best substrate to use under the gravel for good plant growth?

pic of tank below, thanks 😊

0750A25D-E6FB-4A30-AF7C-D9A0B58A8AFD.jpeg

Take your pick, most are just as good as one another.

If you are going to cap the entire lot with gravel/sand i would go for something like tropica plant growth substrate or similar base layer, or you could but aquasoil in mesh bags.

Take your pick, most are just as good as one another.

If you are going to cap the entire lot with gravel/sand i would go for something like tropica plant growth substrate or similar base layer, or you could but aquasoil in mesh bags.
I’ve got mesh bags I’m planing to use, is there any issues using aqua / pond soil?

The classic brown Manado is fine if you have fishes that like digging, but it is too light for planting in my experience. It was a pain in the neck with rosette plants or stem plants that have big leaves.

I’ve gone for flora base Which will be capped with a really nice fine gravel 1-2mm.

just waiting for the red moor wood to soak, as they are fairly large can only soak them in the tank!

Back