• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Superglue for rocks

Billypete

I want to glue quite a few rocks together using the superglue & tissue method. I've tried Gorilla gel glue but doesn't dry quickly or soak into tissue so works out expensive šŸ™„ you see these guys on YouTube liberally 'spraying' superglue everywhere - it must be cheap & in largr quantities !!
Who uses what , from where , & how much/quantity šŸ¤”

Medium stuff here:
Everbuild CYN50 Stick 2 Industrial Grade General Purpose Superglue, Clear, 50 grams https://amzn.eu/d/8gqBtSQ
Liquid from screwfix (I use this)
Here

Fab šŸ‘Œ Just what I was looking for - have seen both of these but wasn't sure whether they were OK to use šŸ¤” How can they charge the same price for 3-5g tubes šŸ¤ Thanks šŸ‘

how do you find them in regard to application & storage ? Do you use the add on tips you can get ?

Hi Billypete.

Sorry to Hijack the thread. I recently glued my root wood to my rocks using Wickes own brand liquid superglue and kitchen towel. I have used quite a few contact points and have yet to have flooded the tank but all seems very secure. Iā€™ve attached a picture of my hardscape as to reference what I have fixed to the rocks.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_8553.jpeg
    IMG_8553.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
No apologies needed - this is what the question is all about - what have you used ... etc
At Ā£4.20 for 20g it seems a little expensive compared to the 2 mentioned earlier ... but cheap compared to most of the smaller ones !! I can't believe the variations in price to quantity šŸ¤¬
I would tend to go for brands normally but as it's used for glueing plants onto things I don't suppose you need the supposed guarantee of the big name brand - although with glueing stones together in a glass box full of water perhaps you do šŸ¤”šŸ¤

Not all liquid superglue will work. I think I used Bostik and that seemed okay with cigarette filters. Not sure whether tissue reacts the same. But with filters you should get an exothermic reaction, with vapour, and thatā€™s the sign itā€™s bonding.

That's something I didn't get with the gorilla gel glue - was kinda disappointed lol šŸ˜†
Have just bought some of the screwfix glue from above - thank you Miniandy šŸ˜Š OH is picking it up now , along with some filter tips šŸ˜„ so play time on weekend šŸ˜€

Nice scape by the way šŸ˜˜
Hi Billypete, thanks for the kind words, I used 2 bottles of the Wickes cyanoacrylate liquid superglue and a fair bit of paper towel got as many contact points as I could! I did get the reaction so did it during the day and had the window open. Yet to be flooded but seems really solid ! There is about 25 kg of rock in my tank and the large piece of root wood . I used the Gorilla Glue gel type for some of the smaller branches on their own for details. Thanks again mate .

Thanks
Matt šŸ˜€

Not all liquid superglue will work. I think I used Bostik and that seemed okay with cigarette filters. Not sure whether tissue reacts the same. But with filters you should get an exothermic reaction, with vapour, and thatā€™s the sign itā€™s bonding.
šŸ§

Sorry to bother you again on this subject. Just starting to glue a major rock landscape together. I've experimented with glueing with this glue but it doesn't smoke nor fix very easily. Do I know the correct glue? Mine is cyanoacryate but it doesn't smoke nor five quickly. Also, does say that it's for porous surfaces on the labelšŸ«£šŸ˜¬šŸ§
Please advisešŸ¤Ø

Attachments

• PXL_20231207_112715895.jpg
    PXL_20231207_112715895.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
It could be worth a look at Green Aqua YT rock builds were they gllue huge lumps together, could be a case of pay more rather than have a disaster (.Lava Rock apart)has Green Aqua will show you @Billypete

When you finally get the right glue, donā€™t breathe in the fumes, theyā€™re highly toxic.

Hi all,
Trust me when I tell you from experience that removing burning hot cyanoacrylate and cig filters - mid-exothermic reaction - from the tips of your fingers isn't a fun pursuit!
I'm feeling better now, I only managed to <"glue my fingers together">, I didn't set fire to them at the same time.

cheers Darrel

Got a story for youā€¦

When I started to learn to cook, after chopping chilli I rubbed my eyes and was in a lot of pain - true burning discomfort. However recently I had learnt that the acid of lemon negates chilli, so I did what any logical person would do and I held my eyelids open and squeezed a lemon in. Went about as well as youā€™d imagine,

What I mean to say, is @dw1305 if youā€™re telling me super glued fingers can be undone with a bit of fire, there was a time in my life where i would have tried it.

As for which glue to use? I prefer the gorilla super glue gel; itā€™s great and if I want to remove it in future it does chip away from hardscape (with care)

Back