• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which t8 tubes?

chrisjj

Seedling
I have acquired a 240ltr Juwel tank which is to be a low tech, no co2 set up.
The existing t8's I assume are pretty old and am looking to replace. I've looked at lamp specs.co.uk, from which I've bought t5's from, but not sure which t8's to get - oceanic light, flora or grolux - can any advise?

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/Pet-Care

Hi.
I once had a low tec set up with gro lux.
They give a pinky appearance which makes you orange/browns look really nice(in my opinion)
Brown crypts,bog wood and halequins seemed to really stand out.
Not so good for my(blue) boesemanis though.

Yeah, I think the grolux has a "warm" light appearace. Thinking more the "whiter" light, so either the light or flora.

Initial thoughts are to stock with a large shoal of smal tetra - posssibly green neon rasboras - but either way, lots of small fish! and loads of shrimp.

Plants will be mosses, anubias, crypts - easy ones!

You might look on this website as it provides more details on these lamps
eg, Oceanic Flora is 8000K (no CRI listed but spectra included)

Most plants will grow with most lamps (difference is in the details) so you can just choose lamps that appeal to your eye - some people really like the "warm" light (eg, 5000K) while I find it much too "yellow", I prefer a mix of lamps in the 6500 - 10 000 K ... & actively dislike the "pink" or "purple" lamps ... I don't think they "bring out the reds" but rather "distort the reds" ;)

The linked website also includes some video BUT beware of monitor distortions ... if possible go look at the various light options in person

Thanks,

No opportunity to check the different lights out in person - just gotta go for it! So thinking a combination of the Juwel colour lite and Juwel day lite.

Juwel has some (limited) details on the lamps on their website, I don't think the photos are the best (a bit over the top in colour renditions) but they give a general idea of tube color effect

Depending on shipping charges, you might order 2 Day lite & 1 Colour lite ... then if you prefer no "pink" you can just swap over to a 2nd Day lite :)

If you search through Mark Evans journals, he does some photos (many stunning photos so well worth detailed reads) with various lamps & mentions preferred tubes - sorry I couldn't get "Search" to kick out what I was looking for (that d*mned 3 letter block :banghead: )

Couldn't find anywhere that did the jbl, but did find cheap(ish) juwel tubes - got 2x daylite and 1x colour. Delivery today so we shall see! :)

Back