• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White blob on ram dorsal fin

LFNfan

There's a white blob on my ram's dorsal fin, been there a few weeks, seems to be not getting bigger (or smaller). Eating as normal.
Other fish seem fine.
50% water changes every week. Tank temp 24C.
Welcome any advice on what might be or what to do / not do.
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20231203_120204443.jpg
    IMG_20231203_120204443.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
Is it me, or can I also see white spots on the tail?

I believe that would be fungus. Often fishes in otherwise good health - and in a good aquatic environment suitable for the particular species - will be able to fight it off... It can probably be treated with API Pimafix or other remedies. Regardless of the product you choose, it should ideally be done in a quarantine tank, but don't expect miracles from these products.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks both

I went to the LFS which recommended trying to acidify the water a bit, or adding some salt. I bought some botanicals and added to the tank.

Since then the 'blob' / fungus has disappeared. Not sure if this is coincidence or causality but either way the ram is 'blob-free'. Other fish also seem fine.

Good spot on the "white" dots on the other fins. They are actually a pale electric blue colour but for some reason they come out as white in the picture. Whenever I come up close to the tank with my face the ram comes right over, but as soon as I bring my phone up to take a pic it pretty much always scoots!

Hi all,
Since then the 'blob' / fungus has disappeared. Not sure if this is coincidence or causality but either way the ram is 'blob-free'. Other fish also seem fine.
Good. Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) are <"one of my favourite fish">, but now horribly unhealthy things.
I went to the LFS which recommended trying to acidify the water a bit, or adding some salt.I bought some botanicals and added to the tank.
Well done. I always say <"don't add salt">, it serves no useful purpose and is likely to kill your plants. These are soft water fish that have evolved in water with no sodium chloride (NaCl) content and very few ions of any description, so why would salt "work"? - <"http://www.basny.org/Documents/Aquatica/2011/BAS-Aquatica-November-December-2011-COLOR.pdf"> (Water Chemistry: Osmoregulation, Ionic Imbalance & pH - by Joe Gargas on pages 7 - 14)
I bought some botanicals and added to the tank.
You can collect Alder cones (Alnus glutinosa etc.) <"Medicinal trees: The Common Alder - Aqualog.de"> at <"this time of year">, they are antimicrobial and add some tannins, <"I use them a lot">.

Also have a look at Rosie's @shangman article: <"Ripe for Picking: a Guide to Collecting your own Bountiful Botanicals">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back