• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why do GH boosters contain K2SO4?

billiemackers

Hi all,

So why do they? To raise GH either/both CaSO4 and MgSO4 would do the job if the right amount is calculated and added to the aquarium, why do we need the Potassium at this point? The majority of K can come from weekly/daily fert dosing can't it?

It can, but as far as i know Potassium is completely harmless, nearly impossible to have to much but you definitely don't want to less. So they probably do use it, probably because it's easy and something many of us need extra of it.. I did and the completeTropica ferts dosing shedule i used couldn't cover the need.. All went up hill after dosing extra potassium with DIY ferts. :)

Ah! Thanks a lot Marcel! My tap water is around 17ppm Calcium and 2ppm Magnesium. So I just added enough dissolved MgSO4 to up the dGH by 2, which I added after a 50% water change. My aquarium water should now be :

11ppm Magnesium
17ppm Calcium
around 5 dGH

I'm not sure how important Ca:Mg ratios are but I figured I'd just go with this simple approach and see how it goes for now! What's the worst that could happen? :smug:

Back