• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why do we need to inject co2?

jamesb

As above really. I understand that some of the plants we grow would die away of we didn't inject it but how do said plants survive in wild. Do certain streams/rivers have a greater co2 concentration or something? Is it because we cycle the same water through our tank for upto a week before putting fresh in where a river has a continuous flow of fresh water?

Lol I figured was a Clive question. Unfortunately we don't yet have a "questions for Clive" sub-section yet. (although I think there could be call for one) ;)

a lot. Nearly all aquarium plants spend most o their lives only partially submerged in the wild. That is why they need the extra carbon dioxide.

Well, we do not need to add CO2 gas.
Plants will still grow.

But they grow slower and they compete with each other stronger for CO2 if it's a limiting resource.
In non CO2 tanks, some wimpy plants that are poor competitors, or have higher CO2 demands or need more light before they can start taking up the same amount of CO2.................do not fair well.

To remove this competition.......we add CO2 gas.
Now we can grow pretty much any combo of plants species in the aquarium.
The other big reason is to increase the rate/speed of growth. About 10-20X faster.

"Amphibious" nature over a season is also mentioned and quite correct.

In natural systems, there are plenty that are loaded with CO2, mostly karst limestone fed springs.
I've found a few volcanic springs with rich CO2 as well.

Hat Creek in CA, USA.

8c5fa4e0.jpg

A CO2 rich stream with few plants, Santa Ynez River:
Canonpic24-01-2007027100kb.jpg

Bonita Srpings, Mato Grosso Brasil(do a google search)

Pupu Springs, New Zealand.

More volcanic CO2 rich streams in Lassen's national Park, CA, USA
crowsft6resized.jpg

Florida has hundreds of CO2 rich spring feed systems:
Rainbowriver1.jpg

WhatMrGhoriwoudlooklikeinyouraqauri.jpg

Gatorstreamriverofgrass.jpg

Kyleinheaven.jpg

Love the sky blue goggles Tom. I think you should wear those all the time. :p
If you dive those Florida springs watch out for the gators... :woot:

Also to add, gasses don't dissolve as easily in water as they do in air. CO2 has a 10,000 times slower movement in water, so while plants living on the land have easy access to the CO2, plants in water have tremendous obstacles gaining access due to the low gas diffusion rate.

Injection increases the partial pressure of the dissolved CO2 within the water, and this higher pressure forces the gas across the outer cell membranes more easily.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Love the sky blue goggles Tom. I think you should wear those all the time. :p
If you dive those Florida springs watch out for the gators... :woot:

Also to add, gasses don't dissolve as easily in water as they do in air. CO2 has a 10,000 times slower movement in water, so while plants living on the land have easy access to the CO2, plants in water have tremendous obstacles gaining access due to the low gas diffusion rate.

Injection increases the partial pressure of the dissolved CO2 within the water, and this higher pressure forces the gas across the outer cell membranes more easily.

Cheers,

Neither pic is of me.

I would not mind being 20 years younger though.

Back